Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

Hybrid or garret??

hi peeps,
    As above really..... im after some advice on what route to go down??
    if i went down the tubular manifold/garret route what would i need? and what turbo is best and why?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To fit a Garret you need time, patience and money...

They are a much better turbo than the KKK IMHO, and it depends on what your doing with the car as to what one to get. The GT2860RS or GT2871R will give between 300hp and 375hp easy. The 2860 will spool earlier and the 2871 will have more top end but come on later.

Some guys in the UK have gone to the larger frame 30 series Garrett's but personally I think these are for drag cars and dyno queens only.

Personally, driving a car that doesn't come on boost until after 4000 to 4500rpm, redline's at 7500rpm and has an all or nothing boost curve that hits like a mule on a bad LSD trip in a FWD car isn't a fun thing to drive around all the time.

I've got a GT2860RS. It comes on early almost exactly like a standard Z20LET turbo and is happily making boost at 2750/3000rpm...Holds 1.3 bar to 7500rpm and could make over 350hp if I wanted it to. The big difference over a KKK is its reliable and will hold boost in the higher RPM's...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Doddy, you can't be bored of 297bhp already?....surely not!.... If you are looking for even more power (silly bhp) and more reliability with the increase in power you will get, then the Garrett route would be best as they are (World renouned Turbos with a top reputation). As Aussiegman has indicated, you will need time, patience and money to do it right as it is not worth cutting any corners.

If you are happy with your current power but just looking for reliability, Hybrid your kkk Turbo and you will still see the possibility of 300+. Remember Adams MK4 Van made 306bhp at Red Dot the other weekend so it is obviously possible without having to go down the Garrett route.

Your dilema is obviously Power Vs Reliability It is all about personal choice and how big your budget is................
    Star Silver SRI Turbo..'Red.Dot Reloaded'..Cybox Precat, Cybox Catback SS Exhaust..K&N Panel Filtered...9Ltr EDS SMIC!!.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Garrett all the way, if you don't you will only end up wasting money and doing it eventually anyway.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    doddy. going down the garret route u need to do the internals of the engine u will get alot of power and the reliabilerty is better then the kkk. im running a gt3076r in my zaf and its giving me 500bhp and u wount get bored of it.

iv also got a corsa c with a rss6 (regal hybrid kkk turbo) and its been fine running 330bhp.

so its up to u witch one u want to run both are good. its up to u wat power u want.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    again i run a coupe turbo with a hybrid turbo (regal rss6) and i make 330bhp on standard internals (even have the old pistons in!)

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    courtenay do a hybrid as well i believe

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft