Thread: RUSTED FRONT OS BRAKE PIPE Asta G... any ideas on changing it?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

RUSTED FRONT OS BRAKE PIPE Asta G... any ideas on changing it?

I need to change the drivers side, steel front brake pipe,on my mk4 1.8 estate,Ive looked at it from all directions and dont think it can be done as it is routed now (round the underside subframe ect). however I see there is a spare route across the bulkhead following the same path as the lines from the master cyl to the fourway block on the opposite side, it even has a spare place on the 2 securing clips,I would prefer the original route but cant see a way to do it, any sugestions appreciated.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cut the old one off completely .. keep it all for length including the ends , go to a local garage and buy a lenght of bendy metal brake pipe and have the same to ends put on it as the original pipe .. just push it around as best you can ,cos its bendy it goes practically anywhere.. it doesnt have to be the same shape..as long as it gets from a to b,, re routing it is ok too..
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    i had to do this last month as mine failed MOT, i re-routed but failed again as the garage got funny that i had not followed the same routing, so had another pipe made up and put car on ramps and followed the original route. took 3 hours to do it right, but it passed and i saved myself £260 that Vauxhall wanted to charge me. only hard bit is getting it around the gear selector area. after that it is plain sailing and end result is better than the original that is factory tacked to the strut in a stupid area for getting wet and dirt trapped onto it

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the pipe has got to be secured so it can't rub on anything, but it doesn't have to be the same route.

I replaced every pipe on my MK2, Fuel and brake.

it's nigh on impossible to get them the same as the originals with the engine fitted.
    How Tos . Parts For Sale
    The two most life changing experiences you'll ever have. Finding Jesus, and having a baby.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supersterl View Post
    cut the old one off completely .. keep it all for length including the ends , go to a local garage and buy a lenght of bendy metal brake pipe and have the same to ends put on it as the original pipe .. just push it around as best you can ,cos its bendy it goes practically anywhere.. it doesnt have to be the same shape..as long as it gets from a to b,, re routing it is ok too..
    do what this guy says, just make sure it doesnt rub on anything on full locks and check its clipped up every 6 inchs or so

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for that,wondering why the garage didnt like the re-route, could you describe which way you did go.