Thread: Astra 1.6 54 reg engine dead

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.6 54 reg engine dead

Please can anyone help. I am a newbie to the forum and hope I have selected the correct thread.

Yesterday I parked my Astra 1.6 Automatic after a twenty mile journey. At this time everything was fine and no prior problems with the car.

On returning to the vehicle three hours later I placed the key in the ignition and on turning nothing happened.

The lights on dash were all in place the only thing I did notice was the orange vehicle with spanner light flashing however i assume this is only a service light.

I contacted my recovery company and when the guy arrived he stated the starter motor may be dead. He tried starting the vehicle by bridging the terminals at the starter and the engine turned over however would still not start.

Further examination he suspected no fuel getting to the engine and believes the fuel pump is also faulty. I ended up being towed home

Is it possible that both the starter motor and fuel pump have both gone simultaneously or am I missing something.

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

I have had a search on the forum but have been unable to locate any similar threads relating to my problems.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The flashing light means you have a problem with the immobiliser not reading the key.
    Have you tried using the second key to start the car?
    If the immobiliser kicks in you won't get power to the fuel pump or ignition circuits.

Did you, by any chance, drop your car keys? If it split open then you may have lost the transponder chip from inside it (very small black piece about the size of a couple of grains of rice).
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your advice it was absolutely spot on. I got my spare key and on turning the engine over hey presto it burst into life.

You have saved me a fortune in taking my car to a dealership and I am so grateful thanks.