Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Category D and other questions...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Category D and other questions...

Firstly, hello all. First post on here.
    I am a student who will be living at home next year after enduring a year of BS from the travel agents at a rented house near the uni.
    I turn 21 on August 8th and as a result I'm planning to pick up a 2.2 SE2 with a budget for the car of about £3000 after getting quotes of about £900ish from Direct Line for insurance policies starting on my 21st for the 2.2 SE2 - sadly they won't even quote a price before my 21st :/
    I have had my license for 2 years, and only had a car for the first 4 months (as a result of selling it for beer funds in my freshers year haha) and as a result no NCB.

I have found an SE2 which looked to good be true, 50k miles and listed at £2895.
    Having read the full info, it says it is a CAT D, but having looked at the pictures, there doesn't appear to be any damage visible now.
    It is also only 20 miles away, so what should I be looking for if I were to view it?

Basically asking what do I do?
    Enquire to him what happened, and if he has appropriate paper work to show it has been repaired professionally?
    And a few modifications questions...
    Basically, what needs declaring?
    The car above doesn't have Irmscher splitters and side skirts which I am quite keen on, would these need to be declared to the insurers when applied?

But, the main question is... Does anyone know if Direct Line (these are the only people offering me insurance under £1000) would cover a fully repaired Cat D, and any idea of how much extra it would be?

I don't want to ring them up about it as it means they will have my number and I have had problens in the past of insurance companies ringing upto 5 times a day.

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to being a part of this community when I eventually get the car.

PS - If anyone knows of any 2.2 SE2's for sale below £3500, primarily within 50 miles of North Hertfordshire for easy viewing, please let me know.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Withold your number lol.

and yes i would declare them mate, thye may not even cost you much more anyway. my mods dont tbh.

On bits to look out for, im not overly familiar with the 2.2 but im sure someone will be along soon to help.

And weclcome to the forum

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    from what ive heard Direct line can be abit funny with mods, especially with the 'younger' driver
    Hey Dick,whats in for the Big Brain Quiz tonight? Certainly Gents, thats 200 quid. WHAT! each! DOUBLE WHAT! Thats abit steep isnt it...? steep...its f-ing verticle!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan-AstraG View Post
    from what ive heard Direct line can be abit funny with mods, especially with the 'younger' driver
    Is 21 still considered young?
    If they are dodgy, I'll happily wait until applying any bodywork mods.
    What were to happen if I were to buy one with a full kit too? Would that be considered uninsured if I don't declare it has them on? As I really don't want to be forced to any other insurer, as churchill are the only others to have come close.
    Just entered my details into Adrian Flux whom seem popular on here... £3300 :/
    was £1000 until it realised it presumed I had 3 years no claims which still seems a really high amount :O

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    to insurance companys ur considered a young driver untill your 25 .... i personally reckon thats bull shit has i'm 22 and in the 4 years i've been driving i've easily clocked up over 120,000 miles in a various of different cars/vans without a single crash but hey, thats how the world works i guess.....

and if you dont declare mods then no your not insured mate, so if you have a smash ur mo'fo'd basically
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (145K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok cool, thanks.
    Just discovered the car I have found is advertised on here so going to go directly to the seller,.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SE2 Boyd View Post
    Firstly, hello all. First post on here.
    I am a student who will be living at home next year after enduring a year of BS from the travel agents at a rented house near the uni.
    I turn 21 on August 8th and as a result I'm planning to pick up a 2.2 SE2 with a budget for the car of about £3000 after getting quotes of about £900ish from Direct Line for insurance policies starting on my 21st for the 2.2 SE2 - sadly they won't even quote a price before my 21st :/
    I have had my license for 2 years, and only had a car for the first 4 months (as a result of selling it for beer funds in my freshers year haha) and as a result no NCB.

To be honest, £900 sounds cheap... Is this third party insurance? Is this as you as the main driver?

I have found an SE2 which looked to good be true, 50k miles and listed at £2895.
    Having read the full info, it says it is a CAT D, but having looked at the pictures, there doesn't appear to be any damage visible now.
    It is also only 20 miles away, so what should I be looking for if I were to view it?

By all means view it, especially since the previous keeper is on here. Cat D can be a bit worrying because you don't know the score. If it's front end/rear damage then the bumper cover could have been replaced but the crumple bar 'bent' back into position. I'd find out what's happened and then if you're serious about buying, ask to the take the bumper off (it's not too difficult) to check the condition of the subframe and anti-crash bars. If he/she says no then walk away. Other things to consider will be things like wheel alignment, headlight alignment, correct fitment of bodywork (all the correct spacing), correct colour of resprayed parts.

It goes without saying that you should be check VINs and having a look under the car for any cut and shut evidence. You can also check out all the MOTs online by putting a few details on if the originals are 'not to hand'. Do a HPI check too.

Basically asking what do I do?
    Enquire to him what happened, and if he has appropriate paper work to show it has been repaired professionally?

As above really, find out what the damage was, make sure the current keeper has owned the car for a good amount of time (and isn't just selling it on for someone else, could be a repaired scrapper), do the HPI checks, look at all the documentation, find the place where it was repaired - make enquiries with them if possible - at least make sure they exist. If you aren't sure then you could have a RAC inspection or failing that simply walk away.

And a few modifications questions...
    Basically, what needs declaring?
    The car above doesn't have Irmscher splitters and side skirts which I am quite keen on, would these need to be declared to the insurers when applied?

Everything needs declaring, see my previous post on the recent 'i've crashed post' in the insurance forum for reasons why. Irmscher splitters and side skirts will need declaring. I don't know how much they will costs, especially as others have mentioned, DirectLine isn't keen on mods.

But, the main question is... Does anyone know if Direct Line (these are the only people offering me insurance under £1000) would cover a fully repaired Cat D, and any idea of how much extra it would be?

You should be telling them that it's cat D although an online quote will not specifically ask. By not telling them you risk getting your police voided if they find out (they could have been the ones to cat D it...). A voided policy = shafted for life with the 'have you ever had insurance cancelled' question. You also risk not being covered if you car breaks in half and kills someone. I don't know if Direct Line will cover it or not.

I don't want to ring them up about it as it means they will have my number and I have had problens in the past of insurance companies ringing upto 5 times a day.

Ahhh the joys of insurance hunting, ring them from someone elses phone... .

Thanks for any help, and I look forward to being a part of this community when I eventually get the car.

PS - If anyone knows of any 2.2 SE2's for sale below £3500, primarily within 50 miles of North Hertfordshire for easy viewing, please let me know.
    Answers in red.

EDIT: Also look at the user's previous posts for the inevitable 'I've crashed' post and see what they say on there, there may even be photographs...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey all it's my coupe he's interested in and would like to put his mind at rest as eveyone knows I have owned my coupe for 3 years when the repair was done the inner and outer bumper was replaced there is even somehwere on here the repair diary of the car being repaired. I have pics of before after and during repair and fulll receipts

Status
    Supporting Trader
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SE2 Boyd View Post
    Is 21 still considered young?
    If they are dodgy, I'll happily wait until applying any bodywork mods.
    What were to happen if I were to buy one with a full kit too? Would that be considered uninsured if I don't declare it has them on? As I really don't want to be forced to any other insurer, as churchill are the only others to have come close.
    Just entered my details into Adrian Flux whom seem popular on here... £3300 :/
    was £1000 until it realised it presumed I had 3 years no claims which still seems a really high amount :O
    If you would like me to check the details have come through correctly please PM me your name and postcode and a contact number.

Dan.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    try elephant im 24 3 years NCB and im paying 600 approx fully comp i know your slighty diffrent but they were cheapest for me .. also you done your pass plus, with norich union i saved a mint loads becasue i did that ..acts as a years NCB

Dave

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast