Thread: Blanked EGR now got the check engine light

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blanked EGR now got the check engine light

What have i done wrong this time i bought this blanking plate from ebay for my EGR valve, twisted it out the way slightly maybe not aswel as in the ebay pic and when i started the engine it sounded like it had a very small miss.

took it for a drive and it seemed ok but just as i got in my drive the check engine light came on, am i supposed to completely turn it out the way could that be the issue

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...lenotsupported

(Raining down hard so couldnt be bothered adjusting it thought i ask if i should just remove it)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the light will come on because you need to get the egr valve deleted from the ecu. i blanked my egr off a while back and the light kept coming on. i eventually put the egr back on as it did not cure the issues i had, and the light would come on when i hit 60mph for a short while..

also if you remove the egr completely from the car you will still get the light on dash board

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    If your EGR valve is stuck i.e. the plunger is not able to move when the solenoid is activated by the ECU then this will flag up an engine management light. You could try cleaning up the EGR valve and then re-fitting it as you have done. Also make usre that the pluger is away from the casing where it bolts to.

As has been said you can have the ECU programmed so it doesn't look for the EGR valve.

I have been running with a blanked EGR on my 2.0 16v X20XEV and had no issues. Although I am using a complete casing with the EGR port already blanked. I then took an old EGR valve apart so it only left me with the electronic solenid part which is still connnected and mounted elsewhere.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    so what your saying is i should do a complete turn so when mounted looks like the one in the ebay picture and im probably getting a code as the plunger is hitting the plate

i saw on another site people putting the side of a (coke) can i assume this as better as you just bolt the EGR valve back ontop and its flexible enough to let the plunger move but still close the port

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Hard to tell unless you can see it with your own eyes... Just tryign to elimate one thing. You should be able to put your hand under the EGR and check that the plunger is clear of the EGR mount casting.

Would you say the EGR was operational to strat with?

Is it OK if the EGR is re-mounted in its original loaction?

Was the EGR valve seal OK i.e. its not letting in any air?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when i bought the car it was very jerky once i removed the stupid cone filter and replaced it with a standard airbox/ airfilter it got a hell of alot better but there is still a slight bit of jerkiness to it so from reading on the forums i thought it may have been that, the gasket seemed intact so assumed it was ok

when i took it out the pipe was sooty as anything as was the top of the EGR valve i could remount the EGR valve with its original gasket no problems

would it be a good idea to shoot some carb cleaner into the pipe the egr was connected to or would that be a bad idea

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Sounds like the EGR is faulty. If you know anyone in your area ask to try their EGR out to see if the problem is still the same. Also check all the pipes in and out of the throttle to ensure no cracks or splits are on the pipes.

I wouldn't blow carb cleaner doens the EGR port unless the manifold was removed from the head. You could try cleaning the EGR with carb cleaner but if its goosed then it not going to make things any better

I kniow my wife's SXi Z16XE stuttered with a dodgy EGR

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i took a pic of how i mounted it i will change this tomorrow morning so that it hangs off completely like the one in the ebay ad, should i remove it first clean it with carb cleaner then re-attach or is that not important is its going to be blanked anyway