Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Finally handed in my notice at work

Feel like a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders

I was offered a new job as a Physics Teacher back in March but obviously due to it not starting until September I've had to keep it fairly hush hush until now. Told my boss this morning and he was really good about it - just need to wait and see whether they'll let me work until the end of the month instead of just the end of the week!

p.s. I work in recruitment at the moment so can be fairly cut throat at times!
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I work in recruitment also, killer mate, I am at that poiunt also, so busy it's silly, 17hr days.... good for you!
    Celica T-Sport , Audi S3 , scania r series

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yep, it's not the most fun job to do at the moment that's for sure! On the other hand though, if the market hadn't changed then I would probably have never started to explore other employment options. I now get to use my degree in my career so seems a better option all round really (although I can kiss goodbye to the 6 figure salary dream!).
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Surely it is just common courtesy to tell your current employer asap that you have another job. How did you get round the request for a reference?

Handy tip for anyone else - do not hide the fact that you are applying for or have got another job - it just pisses people off.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clanless View Post
    Surely it is just common courtesy to tell your current employer asap that you have another job. How did you get round the request for a reference?

Handy tip for anyone else - do not hide the fact that you are applying for or have got another job - it just pisses people off.
    While I agree with the majority of your post, sometimes its not as easy as that. We all have bills to pay, and families to support...And sometimes being honest has the opposite effect.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What if he had turned around in March though and said bye-bye. Dave would have been without a job from March till September

Well done on the new job mate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Congrats mate. But unfortunately it'll mean no more sitting on AOC all day.

Unless you're planning on teaching A Level students how to get more out of a 1.4 16v engine....

Why didn't you use me as a character reference!??!
    1.9 cdti (120) black ASH
    Wanted: Black VXR Grille!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Could disagree more.... Of course tell the current employer once you have your offer in writing and allow for your full notice period, but to tell your employer you are looking is quite often career suicide at that place of work if you decide to then not go.
    I no longer have a Sig

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, it could be seen as a cheap attempt to try and boost your wage, by threatening to leave, in the hope they'll offer you more money.
    1.9 cdti (120) black ASH
    Wanted: Black VXR Grille!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    What if he had turned around in March though and said bye-bye. Dave would have been without a job from March till September

Well done on the new job mate
    Thanks mate

As for not telling them before - if I worked for an employer that would show me the same courtesy and decency then I would have told them there and then. As it happens, I work for a small company who I have seen treat other employees terribly when the time came for them to leave. I've seen people be told to leave there and then before and with the current employment market didn't particularly fancy the idea of job hunting for a 6 month temporary role.

In some industries (teaching for example) you have to tell your employer that you're looking for a new job and are required to give at least a term's notice. Recruitment, unfortunately, is the polar opposite and you have to look after number 1. Bigstring will back me up on this. If I had told them in March that I had another job lined up then I would have been out on my arse - as it happens though I have stayed with them, worked hard and billed every month since.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast