Thread: Big problem, engine will not start, help needed!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Big problem, engine will not start, help needed!

My 2002 mk4 astravan Y17DT (Isuzu Engine) will not start, expecting it to be an electrical issue.

Heres an outline of the recent major issues with my van

Firstly I had an ecu problem, it went to the garage and they found the ecu to be faulty, it came back everything running fine. All was well until 2 weeks ago when my accelerator pedal stopped working and when I started it up it was sat idling at 2000rpm. I sent the ecu away for its second repair which was done under warranty from last time but when the ecu was returned to me the engine would not start (cranking but not starting).

I assumed this was another ecu issue so sent it away again to be testing. No problem was found with the unit so its just cost me £97 for testing

The only thing they did say was there was a possible short on Pin 50. A quick glance at a wiring diagram shows that this pin relates to the fuel pump and the air mass meter. I have a spare air mass meter which I have fitted but to no avail.

There is no fuelling at all, I loosened off the injectors to check but nothing. Also, the glow plug light is not showing on the dash as it normally would.

2 things which may be significant... firstly, the thing that was touched on the vehicle whilst the ecu was away for its 2nd repair was the air mass meter wiring which I needed to extend.

Secondly, the fuel pump suddenly seems very noisey, this may be in my head though

I think thats everything, sorry for the long post, hope somebody has some ideas.

Thank you

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    may sound daft, but have you checked your fuses?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ~If the fuel pump has gone your looking at a few hundred quid for a ne wone.

And this, second to fuses is my guess mate.

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    You need to confirm which pin 50 they feel might be shorting because as you say one goes to the AFM and the other to the pump. These are both in different block connectors

If the pump was making noise though last time it may be that it's siezing up (guess its a electrical pump on the diesels) and this in it's self could be drawing to much current like a short.

I believe i've read that in this weather the glow plugs don;t need to heat up so you won;t get the light on the dash
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for all your responses

Fuses were the first thing I checked, couldnt see any that were blown though. Plus I can hear what must be the fuel pump whirring when i crank it, so theres power to that, although yes I do believe it has been noisey for a while but Ill compare it to my brothers van over the weekend. What causes them to seize, because it hasnt gone far for a while but Ive been running it a couple of times a week?

Also my glow plug light always flashes on at least briefly even in this weather, as it does on my brothers van (same age(ish)), same engine.

Ill try and find out exactly which pin it was on monday, however as one pin goes to the AFM, and the AFM wiring was the only thing I touched in between in running and not running...

I am starting to wonder if I may have had the battery connected still whilst I extending the wiring. If I did touch the wires or something could this cause a problem??

Also worth noting there is no engine management light showing and no fault codes can be flashed from the dash.

Again, sorry for the long post

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Wouldn't know what makes the pump sieze, just offering suggestions

Having the battery connected which extending the AFM wouldn;t cause a issue, having the igniton on might though as it could blow fuse number 46 which is a 15 amp fuse and under the dash. This is also the main ignition feed to the ecu so it's worth double checking it
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am sure I have heard that cheap super market fuels are blamed for the failure of so many fuel pumps as they don't lubricate and clean as well as the premium fuels. Mind you it could all just be spin in an attempt to get every one buying branded fuels.

I assume you've checked the fuel filter (not choked). Also do you have fuel prior to the injection module as opposed to at the injectors? Or am I talking c**p and getting my engines muddled again

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply, but I now have to admit to my epic fail of the day. Fuse 46 was blown.

I did go through and check the fuses straight away, to be fair it didnt look blown until I held it up to the light so I probobly didnt notice. Thanks autosparks, my list of fuses doesnt list it has an ignition fuse so I doubt I wouldve checked it again if you hadnt said

I feel like a bit of tit

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    John

Your not the first to say that the fuse isn't mentioned in the book. I had a PM recently who took that fuse because it wasn;t mentioned to put in his fog lights

Glad it was a easy fix though