Thread: Best jacking / axle stand points

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Best jacking / axle stand points

The Haynes manual vaguely shows anindented lip on the chassis (Astra Mk3) as the best jacking point and adjacent to that as the best place for axle stands. However, after using that point for a year or so, I now have;
    · A dent under there where all the cars weight has been on the weld.
    · All the rubber anti rust paint has come off.
    I haven’t been happy with those jacking instructions for a while and have been using a protruding strengthened chassis area and the sub frame itself, (jack + axle stand).
    Is this better? Which parts can hold the most weight? Can the sub frame be used this way or will I cause damage? The rear is even more trouble as the sub frame / axle is at an angle.
    Cheers guys in advance.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    i use the recommended (haynes manual) jacking points, with no issues. if the dent you've got is from the stands, I'd suggest you may have them positioned ever so slightly wrong. as for the rubbed off paint - how often do you jack the car up?! I have slightly rubbing, but nothing major bearing in mind even the newest Mk3's are 11 years old now, and mines now almost 14 years old!
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers Pete

Its just thet the haynes manual has a line drawing that looks nothing like an actual car, so its guesswork really. I don't want to put a stand under anything that cant support the weight.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The jacking points are where the little dents in the cill are. Anywhere along the cill at the bottom will support the weight but best to use the proper places.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, i have been using those points to jack, but then when i want to put he stands there.......there is a jack in the way. To be honest, i am going to go support crazy and have both Jacks and axle stands. Cant be too Safe. Dont want to end up in the Darwin Awards.