Thread: Replacing shocks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replacing shocks

I am having bother getting at worn shocks. I have the spring compressors on and can move the spring by hand so I know thatís okay, but I canít get the top mount off. Recessed in the top mount is a 19mm nut with the piston rod sticking out (which a 9mm socket end fits). The trick is to hold the centre one with a socket or something and undo the 19mm outer nut with an offset / swan neck / drop spanner. ( Whatever you want to call them).
    I bought a set of them but, with a socket holding the centre rod from spinning, I canít get enough leverage on the outer nut. Has anyone ever done this? I am going to try and clamp some mole grips on the shock piston rod and see if that holds it so I havenít got to deal with 2 spanners in the same opening. Thereís just not enough room. Unless I am missing the obvious.
    Haynes manual says, ďHold the centre with a socket and undo the nutĒ, yeah. Cheers Mr Haynes.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you need to release the pressure on the spring and use a big air gun on the top nut, this is how they do it in the garages.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Rizo

And to hold the inner piston rod from spinning?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From mattjk - "For the benefit of anyone else this happens to the best thing to do is to remove the bolt while the shock is still on the car the weight of the car prevents the shock from spinning. I had to put it back on the car". Blimey, putting all that back on? What, then compress the spings on the car, Then loosen the top nut, then take it all off again? Surely it will just spin and i dont want to be loosening a nut with a loaded shock under it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coolts View Post
    Rizo

And to hold the inner piston rod from spinning?

ignore the centre nut, just keep blipping the airgun it will come off, short blips is best.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm. Cheers rizo. So it's either hump the strut to a garage or buy some air tools + compressor. So much for DIY

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the compressor is the most expensive bit, the tools are really cheap. worthwhile investment if you work on your car alot.

you could take the shocks to a garage and get them to whip the springs off for you then fit them to the new shockers?

where you located?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bristol. I am trying to do with as little outlay as possible just to give myself some experience really. Will have another go tonight with some WD40 and mole grips on the piston rod itself, (assuming its solid steel it should be okay). Otherwise, I will try and loosen the top nut on the other side that are still attached to the car. With the spring loaded though, itís likely that it might not move.