Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Tuning problem

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    fil's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Tuning problem

    Im new to the site as a member but have looked often and thank everyone for help Ive received via others questions in the past. Its a great site.

    I have a 1.9 CDTI Astra van. Sportive 120 model. I fitted a DTUK red unit about 14 months ago mainly to see if I could improve on the MPG as the new van was a bit dissapionting after running around in my older 1.7td for 200,000 miles which without effort returned 55-60mpg. I travel 120 miles a day to workand back so doing the same journey everyday its easy to see how the MPG compairs with and without the DTUK unit. My van has an auto 6 speed box and when i got it I was never able to get over 42mpg. With the box fitted it went up 8-10mpg instantly. The performance was a bonus and have nothing but praise for what the DTUK box has done to transform my van.

    But i do have a problem that has happened a few times and Im troubled by it again now. I can travel to work OK in the morning but on the way home within 10 miles of setting off the little car and spanner light comes on. If Im quick and take off the DTUK unit before it goes into slow mode the light will extinguish after a few more miles. If I cant stop quickely and remove the box the light is then on for 30 mins or so in go slow safe mode after I have removed it. I remove the box and install the pug into the end of the loom only.

    The last time it happened was around the same time in the service cycle with about 5000 mile to go before its service. When I took it in last time (minus the unit) Vauxhall said they had reset the engine management as the engine wasnt breathing correctly. It has been Ok since until now. Ive run it for a few days without the unit and all is fine until I miss having it installed and cant wait any longer and put it back.

    Any one have any ideas. I did talk to DTUK last time and they offered to check the loom which I thought might have been the problem at the time. But to be honest I dont think it is the unit, its a engine or servicing problem.

    Any help would be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    alan_tre's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    626
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would try and just turn the box bown one setting...

    what i find is on the way home you might b a bit more happy with the pedal and cause the cars not fully warmed up could cause it to happen..

    Try just 1 setting down and see if that helps
    astra cdti 202bhp 323 lb-ft torque 45mpg
    audi tt 180bhp and no lb-ft torque lol

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    astracolli's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,300
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bet best is to get them to look at it, especially if its off the car and not going to cost you mate.

    At least that way you can remove the problem list.


    Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.


  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    fil's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your reply.
    I have tried different map settings and gone back to my old setting of map 1. I have never touched or changed the power settings until just recently when I thought I would try it on plus 30% just to see . This is when the light came on after using this setting for a week or so. So I can see there could be a connection between this and the problem but I did go back to the origianl 0% setting and the problem has remained.

    Your right Im keener to get home at night than I am to get to work in the morning but this has also been the case during the time I had no problem. Ive also experienced the light coming on after driving for an hr or more so Its not a warm up problem, especially in this weather we have at the moment.

    I will drop it down to -10% tonight an see what happens.

    Thanks all

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    sxi100's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    136
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A tuning box causes more diesel to be pumped in, so I am not sure how it would improve MPG. It will give a misleading figure on the trip computer, so don't rely on that. You can see when too much diesel is being pumped in by the amount of black smoke, that would suggest unburnt or wasted fuel.
    If you take the box off and the error goes, you have your answer and it's something to work on. Turn the settings down and if it causes problems, stick it on ebay!
    You can only push an engine so far and the way tuning boxes work is quite crude compared to a full remap. You can get the latest device from Regal and switch off the EGR valve. From the amount of people ditching other methods of tuning, it certainly seems worth it.
    Do the "pedal check" and see what you get for the error codes. It could well be that your air filter needs changing or the MAF sensor needs changing. That would tie in with far too much diesel being thrown in and not enough air, or the ECU thinking there is not enough due to what the sensors on the exhaust are reporting.

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    fil's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your input sxi200.
    I searched and eventualy found how to do the pedal test. Although I have tried it a number of times it does not work on my van for some reason. Is it because its an auto? I dont get any flashing going on. The only thing that is different when I do it is that I get ECN coming up in the tripometer.

    Despite what you think about the tuning box it does give more MPG. The trip computor may be fooled but the visits to the fuel pump and the miles covered between fill ups are real.

    Also Ive never seem black smoke in the rear view mirror. I certainly have in my previous two Astra vans but not this one.

    Ive had a look at the air filter. Its wasnt very pretty and certainly didnt look like it had been changed when I thought at the last service. I'll get a new one. So you might have found my problem. Ive put the unit back on just now and will see how I get on during the journey home.

    Thanks

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    881thomas's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    281
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where are you from fil?

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    astracolli's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    5,300
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tuning boxes from DTUK are perfectly save and arent as described by SXi100.

    They do offer better power gains and better fuel gains, as proved by the many ppl on here who use them on a daily basis.

    I would check your air filter and replace mate.
    Part number for the 1.9CDTI one is 93192882 (£10.85).

    If this doesnt solve it i advise to go back to DTUK and get them to look at the loom mate, they will be best bet as they know what they are doing with the box and if they have offered then you know they are willing to look at it. Probs wont cost you anythink either if under warranty.



    Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.


  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    fil's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    10
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks everyone. Im going to try the new filter and will let you know how I get on.

    I do not now think it is the loom as I dont take off the loom when I insert the plug to replace the DTUK unit and it is OK.

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    Andrew@DTUK's Avatar
    Supporting Trader
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    499
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fil View Post
    Im new to the site as a member but have looked often and thank everyone for help Ive received via others questions in the past. Its a great site.

    I have a 1.9 CDTI Astra van. Sportive 120 model. I fitted a DTUK red unit about 14 months ago mainly to see if I could improve on the MPG as the new van was a bit dissapionting after running around in my older 1.7td for 200,000 miles which without effort returned 55-60mpg. I travel 120 miles a day to workand back so doing the same journey everyday its easy to see how the MPG compairs with and without the DTUK unit. My van has an auto 6 speed box and when i got it I was never able to get over 42mpg. With the box fitted it went up 8-10mpg instantly. The performance was a bonus and have nothing but praise for what the DTUK box has done to transform my van.

    But i do have a problem that has happened a few times and Im troubled by it again now. I can travel to work OK in the morning but on the way home within 10 miles of setting off the little car and spanner light comes on. If Im quick and take off the DTUK unit before it goes into slow mode the light will extinguish after a few more miles. If I cant stop quickely and remove the box the light is then on for 30 mins or so in go slow safe mode after I have removed it. I remove the box and install the pug into the end of the loom only.

    The last time it happened was around the same time in the service cycle with about 5000 mile to go before its service. When I took it in last time (minus the unit) Vauxhall said they had reset the engine management as the engine wasnt breathing correctly. It has been Ok since until now. Ive run it for a few days without the unit and all is fine until I miss having it installed and cant wait any longer and put it back.

    Any one have any ideas. I did talk to DTUK last time and they offered to check the loom which I thought might have been the problem at the time. But to be honest I dont think it is the unit, its a engine or servicing problem.

    Any help would be appreciated.

    Hi Mate

    what settings are you running the box on?

    Which map,and at what power setting?



    Quote Originally Posted by sxi100 View Post
    A tuning box causes more diesel to be pumped in, so I am not sure how it would improve MPG. It will give a misleading figure on the trip computer, so don't rely on that. You can see when too much diesel is being pumped in by the amount of black smoke, that would suggest unburnt or wasted fuel.
    If you take the box off and the error goes, you have your answer and it's something to work on. Turn the settings down and if it causes problems, stick it on ebay!
    You can only push an engine so far and the way tuning boxes work is quite crude compared to a full remap. You can get the latest device from Regal and switch off the EGR valve. From the amount of people ditching other methods of tuning, it certainly seems worth it.
    Do the "pedal check" and see what you get for the error codes. It could well be that your air filter needs changing or the MAF sensor needs changing. That would tie in with far too much diesel being thrown in and not enough air, or the ECU thinking there is not enough due to what the sensors on the exhaust are reporting.
    Do you re-map cars or something, as this is a typical reply id see written from someone who re-maps cars..

    As for your claims regarding people NOT seeing any fuel savings then i think you need to be put right as they do...

    Yes the trip computer car show incorrect readings but from my own experience this is very rare and the bc can be incorrect by upto 15% with or without the box.

    I have emails and phone calls from customers on a regular basis who are not visiting the local filling station as regularly as usual since fitting a box, we also have a small minority of people id say 2-5% max who arent seeing any savings at all

    Quote Originally Posted by astracolli View Post
    Tuning boxes from DTUK are perfectly save and arent as described by SXi100.

    They do offer better power gains and better fuel gains, as proved by the many ppl on here who use them on a daily basis.

    I would check your air filter and replace mate.
    Part number for the 1.9CDTI one is 93192882 (£10.85).

    If this doesnt solve it i advise to go back to DTUK and get them to look at the loom mate, they will be best bet as they know what they are doing with the box and if they have offered then you know they are willing to look at it. Probs wont cost you anythink either if under warranty.

    what he said, as long as the module was bought from us and is not 2nd hand then you qualify for the full support from myself
    Diesel Tuning UK - 1.9CDTI - 206bhp/430nm
    Exclusive Offers for Paying Members of A.O.C
    www.diesel-performance.co.uk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 1.9 CDTi 150 Tuning - Induction/Tuning Box - Help Please!?
    By Jerry* in forum Diesel Engines inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 24-02-2009, 13:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •