Thread: Head Gasket!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Head Gasket!

Hello, Ive searched throught the forums and allthough there are forums about this none of them seem to match my problems exactly so was wondeirng if anyone can help.

I have an 1.6 8v and as usuall the thermostat has packed in, in addition to this I have recently been loosing a lot of water and have had white fumes out of the back, there is also traces of water in the exhaust and mayo under the oil cap. I do not use my car for short journeys.

My car has also had problems starting recenctly and im not sure if this is because of the head gasket or a seperate problem. When I go to start the car it will make one sound then cut out, usuually if I give it a minute and then try it works. I thought this was the battery but thought I would see if it might be connected to the other problems I have.

Does this sound like the head gasket and if yes what sort of price would I be looking at as I have just spent £550 on other bits for the car!

Hope you can help

Ben

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    water in the oil and oil in the water is a sure sign of head gasket mate. mayo in the oil cap is a definate sign. i would say its time to whip the head off and get it changed. whilst your there you wana change the water pump and cambelt. HTH. also welcome to AOC.
    www.chilled-rc.net For all your RC car/boat/heli/plane needs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    change the thermostat too as its housed underneath the timing belt

all the parts are cheap on the 8v just the labour for the head gasket and skim that bunks the price up .

if u can find a decent local garage then should get it all done for about 250 if not less

youve basically highlighted all the definite signs for HGF so its pretty certain this is the problem