Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Monkeeboy's Coupe Turbo Project!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Talking Monkeeboy's Coupe Turbo Project!

New car, new project.....New thread I suppose!
    Now I'm going to admit I'm not doing a specific project. It's just a modification diary so every can read and have a laugh.... just like with my old diary
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=172888
    Here's the link if anyones looking for it. It's an Astra mk4 white 1.4 16v

As alot of you has probably been thinking when reading my previous diary... (I'm pointing at you lot with the bigger engines and turbo's!). You've probably had thought "this kids wasting his time and money" that may be so...so.....very true but I do not regret any of it, had a damn good laugh and learnt alot about cars, engines suspension etc, was thinking of getting it turbocharged, because I wanted to be different, but looking at the price of these is rather high... So instead of being different I just wanted power! :P with minimum cost and effort, so I went down the easier path
    been looking for a coupe for a very long time! (I was waiting for insurance to go down which it finally did). And I found a nice silver one on auto trader in a dealer (independant) turns out that was poo as the spoiler was broken & bonnet wouldn't shut properly...had to do some sort of WWF jump of the rope style to shut it ANYWAY.... took a look this one:

and I liked it! Got Madmonkee to check it over for me too, to make sure, and everything got the thumbs up!
    Got the car! Must admit at first I was driving it like a granny everywhere afraid that the boost was going to launch me into a wall unsuspectedly, me not being about to control it... but no I was very surprised. Think it needed some attention really. Filled her up with V power and put some Redex in her and its alot better already!

here she is at home!

After getting her I've been grinning all day! and people kept commenting on that well what can I say?! I was well chuffed I've finally go the car of my dreams! no kidding I loved the coupe! I think I have my brother to blame here though, but he's always had other nice cars but the mk4 coupe always managed to catch my eye and since before getting into cars I've loved the look of it...

Oh my I've jibbered abit much here... going to seperate this into two different posts lol....
    >>Diary<< Status: ...........Slow and Steady.... may update more often...
    Last Updated: 27/10/2014

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Part two!
    Got 2 birds with 1 stone as the saying goes, got a nice looking car with more performance at the same time.

Engine bay picture time!

Now a bit more suspsion that this was previously owned by another modifyer is that the afm seems longer than it should be (from what I've been reading everywhere else)

Been getting tips of my brother too lol, and I've opted to go for a 1.9 box as the afm will be further away from the turbo so its doesn't prematurely die from the heat......

I'll need some opinion on some panel filters though.... so can anyone reading my junk give me a PM, which would be good to use and why?
    Like Pipercross foam filters, do you really have to actually oil the foam? As I never did with any of the previous cars and its always worked fine Cheers for your help in advance to anyone who pm's me

Also I've patched up this but up

Been sucking unfiltered air through that small bit!! damn good thing I noticed it before anything bad could of happened...

Unfortunetly that's as far as I planned on modifications, gonna concentrate on oil & filter change then getting used to the car properly.
    And gonna give it a damn good clean on sunday

To Be Continued...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok... so I remember one of the members on here saying to give the viper a rest.......
    Well I was waiting for someone to deliver a fridge on a agreed time.... so got a friend to help me and whilst we waited half an hour of the delivery time had gone!...... got bored and saw a space outside the house so parked outside..... well one thing led to another and i'm awefully sorry but the viper is back on lol but there's a good reason (the only good reason i could find was this):

So it was fitted with absolutly no problems! replaced the airfeed behind the grille with my dblias i stole of my previous car hehehehe.....only problem was the connection from the filter to the airscoop wasn't quite long enough but that was sorted out in minutes,

Must say there's no rawr!!! noise coming from it but i definetly feel a difference already lol, its more willing to pull don't quite know how to describe it, I wasn't really expecting much, I just wanted to use that viper a little longer lol but I was a bit surprised when I tested it lol

but this is temporary til i get my hands on a 1.9 cdti airbox First I'll be running it on a standard paper filter... it's cheaper this way lol plus i might have a proper stupid moment and somehow don't know how to fit it! .... not likely though lmao I'll get an uprated filter when I've done some more research about them, as I've read around and some need oiling and some don't ect..... don't fancy the oiling ones, as I'll probably get a little happy with the retention spray and mess the air flow metre

Gave her a good clean today! and its shiney!!! didn't get any pics except this one... .reflection shot!

Not really a great picture isn't it lol, didn't think to step back slightly and get at least the shape of the car, until just now... oh well lol, Sure you all can tell its clean enough

that's all for today!

To Be Continued...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where to start, where to start....
    Well lets start with my first problem What seemed like wastegate "chatter"

Asked around and apparently its a tad too loud to be normal. Had Madmonkee have a look at it and like one other member suggested, that the OE dump valve is knackered.

So Madmonkee was kind enough to offer this to me

as a temporary fix, as i was going down devon, as this was better then leaving it as it was. Took it for a test drive and loved it lol, so offered to pay him for it....but at a later date lmao!

The fitting was less than a 5 minutre job lmao as the previous owner allready had a cut here:

and the other time consuming bit was done by madmonkee himself which includes alot of messing around with the hks bov hehe.

So with that fitted off to devon I went (this was like 11pm as i started going after work) and only 2 junctions away my car went into limp mode, and eventually wouldn't move! so got my stylish headlight strapped to my head and had a poke round, turns out the blow off valve wasn't clipped on the pipe lmao! so it fell off after so many vibrations and came off completly. knowing that it was only that, that caused it to happened, i arrived at my destination and bought jubilee clips ASAP! :P and not its all good! and the fault code light has finally gone out XD

after coming back from our (me and the missus) little holiday i decided to make some video clips for sh!ts and giggles

Whilst i was still down devon I have a mate there that we just mess round with cars and such so i put some of my old stuff i got from my previous car back on.

Slatted grille with Irmy badge

Sorry mate had to put you on here just couldn't resist
    and my bonnet lifters

Also Whilst i been away a package arrived for me back at home lol, it was a boost pipe i won of ebay! Not bad considering it was only £30. Only real problem i see if that its (i think) 53mm ID same as the rubber pipe. but i don't really mind that in all honesty just wanting something a little more solid lmao. But heard that even a solid pipe can make a difference so thats a bonus!

My plan for now is to not fit it yet as i'm after a top hat, but unfortunetly i can't spend any more money until this problem is fixed:

Nice cracked windscreen
    Called up my insurance and they said its a £70 exess and my no claims won't be effect, not bad considering its £300 for a replacment but it's just a bit of an inconvenience though

Found it was cracked before going down to devon hence the selotape.... It's not to stick it together I've marked it incase the crack got bigger whilsted i was down there, and if it did then i'd need to get it fixed asap too. but its made it back to brizzle with out getting bigger, but i'd still prefer to get it fixed before doing any thing else.

Conclusion on hks blow off valve:
    .....Well *drools* ahem sorry the sound is soooo nice....though i think some may think it's not thier cup of tea, but thats fair enough though, but since fitting it the car seems to actually pull in 3rd gear now! as before i would change up to 3rd from 2nd it just felt like it wouldn't pull
    the turbo seems to spool much quicker after gear changes, not sure if that has anything to do with the knackered oe dump valve. Anyways all in all very happy with it

To Be Continued...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    WOO!!..... feels like I've done alot, but thinking back on it for this update it really isn't

Anyways lets first start off with the cracked windscreen. Called up my insurance and its all sorted without killing my no claims and an £70 exess, not too bad at all

hehe lol, Well turns out that the new windscreen they got for me is difference...... I was told this for reliabilty reasons, before anything was started (before i took that pic lol) I did ask what the difference were.
    1. Its no longer a blue tinge, its now green-ish which looks exactly the same when driving anyway lol (i don't really care about the tinge tbh)
    2. apparently the aircon will have to work a little bit harder to get the cabin colder with this different windscreen on (again i don't really mind)
    3. finally where the rear view mirror is there's no dotted bits, the reason for them in the first place is to act as some sort of sun block type of thing.
    Well i didn't see any reason to go ahead as i honestly don't mind any of those things wrong.

Look carefully and the windscreen is completly cracked soon as he took it off

and Here's a cool little feature i never knew about!!...

this^^^ comes off (slides) and it comes from here (this is the winscreen fitted btw)

It was done pretty quickly. All done within a space of 30mins, the person fitting it was a nice man too, let me take photos and all... obviously as long as he's not in them .

So with that done I left it for an hour to let the glue settle (as he told me to) after an hour I drove off to park my car, (for those who don't know I live in a high street where parking is only aloud for an hour.)

after parking up it started chucking it down So thought I'd stay in the car whilst it was at it's heaviest got bored with in 10 seconds lol

Found one of my LED bulbs lying round that I used to have for the courtesy light...

Well those of you guessing i'm going to replace it, well your wrong :P the bulbs were different . So instead I changed the glove box one

Also noticed something cool unlike my previous light that stayed on only when the engine was in ignition. this one worked on its own! without the need for keys in ignition. With this little switch

....... I'm sure most of the other coupe ownered probably know this but it's still pretty cool for me

Think I must of been bored, I made a little video making sure it switches off in the first place when the box is closed

Here you all go have a good chuckle

OOOOH!! got my jacking point from harlequin, they did say they'll paint it but then told me they'll be needing my car for a day so I just collect it and paint it myself.

OK so it never went smoothly, the first time I painted it, it was a good shade match but there was a problem. I didn't sand down the surface so the paint just peeled off like PVA glue when it dries on your hands
    So had another go this time bringing one of the other points in to try and match it

This picture does f*** all justice but it was quite a close match. then realised i've not laqured it yet done that waited for a day.... or 2 (i forgot about it ) and put it on yesterday

not too bad considering its a halfrauds rattle cans

Got my Insignia washer jet spray from vauxhall, ordered them roughly week and a half ago, was planning on fitting them when I got back home today but the heavens opened up. So might get to it tomorrow... but probably won't bother updating just for that though... depends how bored I am

To Be Continued...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok the insignia washer jets has been fitted! and what a difference they make!

Here's my how to >CLICKY!!<

Here they are...

You can quite clearly see the difference.
    Took me about 15-20 minutes to fit them with only a flat head screw driver.... and that was only used mainly to smack the old ones out

Pushing the new one in from the driver side was easy! did the same on the other side and it proved slightly more difficult i thought i pushed it far enough but when i tested it, all it did was soak my scuttle panel and all that hit my windscreen on the passenger side was a shed load of foam Thought to myself "that ain't right.... had another look an it turns out i didn't put hard enough to clear the panel propery, so two minutes to sort that problem out and jobs a good'un!

Here's the difference between the two

Before

After

Next i'll be saving up for a new head unit nothing fancy though. I wasn't going to but i can't seem to find the code for the cd changer and plus the cd i use are burnt from my pc and they won't play them apparently so even if i did get the code it'd be useless... and for those wondering i rip the music from the official cd and get the ones i like on the copy cd won't want to be spending half my journey skipping songs, and only listening to 3 songs per cd XD

After that............. I've no idea!! We'll see

To Be Continued.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Had a mess round with my induction side of things today!
    After failing misserably whilst in Devon, because of lack of internet for help, i wasn't really confident in shortening the route to the turbo...

Well i had all the stuff i needed,
    • the original pipes
    • breather filter
    • cold air feed to connect to air scoop
    • re-useing the viper
    Well first problem was the cold air feed didn't really fit properly so i had to cut slits into it to fit to the viper

Yeah... thats not how i was planning it, i put them altogether so i won't lose anything if it rolls away
    Then when i took all the pipe work off, and offered the 90 degree bend pipe over the turbo.

but thats when i stopped everything as it looked like the pipe was a tad too big, i had no credit so couldn't text or ring anyone and no internet access... so had to rebuild everything and since then left it till today!

Did a bit more research and asking Madmonkee again lol turs our that pipe isn't too big

So with that proof (picture) i realised i'd probably have to put the clip higher.

ok so that was done yes! no the hard part was doing the cold air feed again, as i've gotten rid of the slits from last time, so now i have to re-do them again, its not hard but try and not get any gaps like this one...

was hard! it can be achieved to have no gap as i managed it in devon XD But i had to work so it was just a quick job :P Anyway it was a pretty simple job. Only real big problem was that it was slightly too bulky so the bonnet wouldn't close.
    What needed to be done was i had to squash the fleximetal pipe slightly to the viper can flex slightly so the bonnet can close, and i had to reposition the 45 degree rubber hose millions of times to get the right angle and so it can actually create an air tight seal with the viper

and here's the breather and the finished pictures!

Conclusion:
    It's definetly better, it's no longer jerky when traveling in slow traffic, or below 15mph. Also when pulling of from standstill or a junction it's alot more smoother and no jerkiness again. the car seems smoother and more composed altogether, and when you put your foot down you can hear the turbo spooling up very nice hehe, speaking of spooling the turbo seems to spool up quicker too, but i can't really notice it a whole lot as i couldn't test it properly, there was too many people on the road today but will edit this soon as i get to test it. but one thing is certain it's willing to pull more when the cars moving.
    All in all its worth doing i reckon strongly advise it too though i've gone a different route and used a viper instead of the usual 1.9 cdti airbox or 2.2 airbox... i was planning on using either one but found out the price for them thought screw it kept to the viper as its the same price! (which i bought for £40) Anyway thats all for now Will update on the spooling of the turbo when i get a clear and safe enough road ...

To Be Continued....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ooh crap! just reading through my jibber-ish and forgot i mentioned i'd report back on the spooling of the turbo.....

Well it's only marginally better in all honesty, you'd still be able to feel the difference but its not like "OMG! it's amazingly quick!" to me it was more of a "hmmmm it's spools up a little quicker..." . The only real advantage of doing this mod, from what I can feel, is pulling away from junction/standstill and getting rid of jerkiness when driving in slow moving traffic (0-15mph). You know when you lift the clutch and the acclerator down slightly then let go of accelerator and let the car roll... (leaving it in gear with clutch still up) and whilst it rolling, it jerks, or kangerooing if you want to call it that instead. Yeah that... thats the jerkiness i'm on about

Head unit might take awhile as i now i have to buy some glasses but in the mean while i'm looking at cheap things to buy for my car

To Be Continued...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    boost pipe is on!!

Just been doing some maths in my head and realised that by the time i can actually afford the tophat i would be nearly january or more realistically november, but still its a long time to wait. so i got cracking and put the boost pipe on! What a difference it makes..........

Also gave the throttle a check and its clean guess the previous owner must of known what he was doing lol

Fitting the pipe was a little harder than i thought, considering i actually wanted to keep the hsk blow off valve.

Had to obviously cut some of the originaly pipe up, in order to fit it.

I thought that fitting this would only be a quick 10 minute job....... i always seem to get it wrong took me half hour...... but that trying to fit it all proeprly lol but other problems arrised as my blow off valve decided to have a problem.

i had to replace the rubbing piping at the back as it has split .... lucky i've got fish lol i just use some of the air pump piping and stuck it at the back

Once it was all fitted it was a lovely drive! (go to conclusion if you wanna skip my up coming misfortune)
    on the way back (i was going somewhere so it was a good time to test it) and this dreaded light came on!!

Got home and it turns out that the intercooler pipe wasn't connected properly leaving a bit of a leak, in all honesty i thought it would of been the bov XD just turns out i didn't tighted the clip enough so the rubber pipe was slightly out. did that back up and it was all good again!

Conclusion:

Definetly noticed somethings with this on! It's more ready to pull after a gear change, and when travelling at 70mph and you want to over take, (i know breaking limit but lets face it no one can hoenstly say they stay within them all the time lol) When you I put my foot down to over take, it takes a while and seems like i was waiting for the turbo to spool up first. But i guess it must of been the pipe as with this fitted it react nearly instantly. and up to 80mph it went to over take alot easier! :O was quite astonished really.

Because i use cruise control on the motorway i know the mpg i get (from instant mfd btw) and it's 32 on a straight but today it did 34, and on the way to brizzle there's a hill climb on the motorway and the mpg for that is usually 23-24 today it managed 26mpg... and no way is it the amient tempreture doing this lol as it's usually the same stretch of road i read the figure So definetly get your hands on a boost (solid) pipe even if it's the same diametre of the standard item if your looking for either economy or performance hehe. but this is just me i don't quite know what everone else thinks about them.

To Be Continued....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    On sunday i gave her a nice clean and wax

To Be Continued....

NAAAH only pissing round but seriously the paint work is amazing on it! as in the previous owner knew how to wash her lol. but didn't know how to take care of the damn bumper though Had to buy new a screw, guide, and 2 clips for the passenger side, We weren't entirely sure if it was siezed or crossthreaded. but either way we had to drill the old one out lol.

Reason for fixing the bumper screw is because..... does anyone remember those sharkeyes projectors??
    Well their on now!

Also whilst down at madmonkee I was given some stuff to put on my car!

Got some iridium plugs (used of course) But from his old gsi, which wasn't on it that long

and a "custom made" tophat lol
    It works really well though tidies the engine bay a whole lot. Fitting was fun! couldn't find out how to fit it to the boost pipe! this was because the tophat was 63mm and the T-piece was the same size as the boost pipe (53mm)

In the end we used the extra silicone hose again that was already on the exsiting t-piece.

(mini conclusion of tophat)
    In all honesty i wouldn't of thought that tophat would of made a difference lol, i mean the bore size is the same as the TB anyway, but thats not until i realised that the bore size is instantly restricted on the standard one soon as it hits the 90 degree bend. whilest the current new one stays at 63mm till it reaches the boost pipe anway lol.
    Results are defeintly a plus, though this time it was more higher in the reve range.... i dunno i've not driven it properly yet but it definetly pulls much harder pass 4500rpm!

Also i've been having some issues with that hks dumpvalve.... the vaccum pipe seems to like to come off so instead i've cable tied it so it can just slip out! Funny story here though, noticed it wasn't dumping, and realised the damn pipe had fallen off again! so outside KFC boost pipe off dumpvalve in hand and the jubilee clip fell on the turbo....... not the heatshied just behind it too, so trying my best to get it off without burning myself was impossible. as the missus to get me some straws from KFC lmao Connected about 3 of them together and pushed the clip slowly, but surely, further back onto the precat.... eventually onto the floor, at the end the straw was destroyed and melted . But also lesson learnted take the damn clips off and put it somewhere safe!

Also got bored during the week and managed to patch this bit up

I've recently noticed i've not got much interior shots As some of you know i've been after a headunit! well today i got it! and also fitted it

Thank you very much Ronnie_dodds.

Also not sure how many are aware that i've got this

Talk about weird as i remember that i've always wanted a shortshift AND a coupe and soon as i got the coupe this was already on it lol never thought of it till now.... Oh Well!

To Be Continued...

Join us in the next episode where i go and fit the iridium plugs and possibly the arm rest (from old car still).... sounds like an adventure with barrels of laughs!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast