Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry Squeaking / Squealing Noise From Rear Brakes

Hiya.

I've got a squeaking/squealing/whining sort of noise coming from my rear brakes. It only happens when the car has been driven about 5 miles (Using the brakes often) or more and the brakes are warm.
    Plus, it only happens around 20mph (Ish) to 45mph (Ish). If I Ever so slightly touch the brake pedal or pull the handbrake up two clicks, it disappears until coming off the brake pedal or putting the handbrake back down.

The noise gets faster and slower depending to the speed of the car.

I've just had brand new front discs and pads fitted, but it was doing it before they were fitted and definitely from the rear. Checked the history and the brakes on the rear were done 3k miles ago.

The garage had a look at it and said there was no grease in the caliper, so they put grease in there and charged me £50! They also said it "Shouldn't do it anymore, but it was never a major issue..." Lot of effing help.

Anyone had the same sort of problem or can anyone shed some light on what it may be? It's annoying, especially considering I have to drive at them sort of speeds in most places.

Any ideas on what I should do? My mechanical skills are limited.

Car is a 2001 Astra Coupe Turbo - It's on 18's with 215 wide tyres.

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had a very similar experience with my 01 coupe it was the callipers squelling. only cure was to raplace. not a difficult job to do. early callipers were bosch. lucas made the later models callipers which i replaced mine with but after 2 years the squelling came back all be it a little less noisier. just a shit design.
    bye the way i dont like star trek

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive got same problem on 1 of the rear disc it has worn down so pad is catching on disc ive ordered my new 1's so shud be here tuesday cus its getting on my nerves

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Aye me too Chris, especially when driving through town or something. Very embarrassing.

I'm trying to look for new calipers, but having no luck in finding anyone that sells them. Anyone online do cheap ones?

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know its a far shot, but have you checked to see if the brake pad wear indicator is rubbing against the disc? its a little metal prong that sticks out thats fairly easy to bend and is used to generate a sound like that so you know the pads are f'd. Considering the mileage on them its so unlikely i feel silly mentioning it, but whoever worked on the car might be very special lol.

Or you might need the discs thrown on a lathe and re worked/machined, might be an uneven rough surface which rubs now and then. < cheap.

My parents once had a fuel filter for a 2.2lt engine mashed with a hammer onto a 2lt at a mazda service centre a few years back. You'd be surprised what some mechanics manage to do.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same problem after I had new brakes fitted, it was to do with the pads being fitted to close to the discs, and so when they expanded with the heat of use, it was slightly rubbing on the disc. Unsure if this is what your problem is but its worth checking out
    MK5 Design 1.9 CDTi 150 Sporthatch
    My Garage

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I appreciate any help at all Chrisshiel - Doesn't sound silly to me. I will have a look at this tomorrow. Cheers mate.

angelslain - This is what I expected it to be, but the garage said it's not, but obviously they checked it when cold. They would expand when getting hot...So makes perfect sense to me.

Cheers.
    Astra Coupe Turbo - Loving the Boost!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No problem, my garage did the same thing, tested it when cold, but as soon as I took the car out and got the warm again it did it, might be worth taking them on a longer test drive.
    MK5 Design 1.9 CDTi 150 Sporthatch
    My Garage

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've now said bollocks to it, my brother is handy with a spanner and is available on Sunday, so going to get him to replace my rear brake discs, pads and calipers.

Cheers for the help!
    Astra Coupe Turbo - Loving the Boost!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyBoomBoom View Post
    I've now said bollocks to it, my brother is handy with a spanner and is available on Sunday, so going to get him to replace my rear brake discs, pads and calipers.

Cheers for the help!
    Make sure he has a wind back tool

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast