Thread: Car is getting bloody dangerous now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Car is getting bloody dangerous now

Have mentioned it before but only really had "warm weather" thrown at it as an answer, but surely it can't be that.

Problem:

When i come to start it in the morning, as i go to set off it's REEEALLY sluggish. I go up a bit of a hill & sometimes it really struggles getting up. I think it's about to cut out sometimes as it's like all power is lost. Get on the road and once i'm in about 3rd, everything is normal. I could spin round 7 do the hill again & it'd be A-ok. It's just that initial get up & go.

That's in a morn (around 7:30am)

Sometimes when i come to go home from work (5:30pm - 6:00pm) I can have the same problem, except there's no mini hill (so that rules out the hill thing then).

The REAL problem is that i've gone to pull out before & the car rolls forward a bit into the lane of oncoming traffic, and then just stops (doesn't cut out, but it's like there's totally no power) before 2-3 secs of hesitation/stillness, and then it reluctantly goes again ......... get it up to 2nd and 3rd and it's no problem from then on.

* Only came about after i did the Vec C mod in around Feb, but also ties in with the warmer weather we started having.
    * doesn't do it EVERY day, but is quite regular now
    * only does it when car has been sat for a long while.

Surely it can't just be the warmer weather as it's just too dangerous. It's the newest car i've had, but no other cars i've had have done this.

Any ideas?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Silly question, but have you checked you didn't knock any wires etc when doing the airbox stuff?

If not that then I do know that (cough yeah I know) putting the top airbox pipe in does improve the really low down power, mine is much better pulling from standstill now, you don't have to give it half as much throttle now.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Silly question, but have you checked you didn't knock any wires etc when doing the airbox stuff?

If not that then I do know that (cough yeah I know) putting the top airbox pipe in does improve the really low down power, mine is much better pulling from standstill now, you don't have to give it half as much throttle now.
    I'm pretty sure i didn't knock any wires. I'm pretty careful of what goes where before i start a job & unless i've totally missed something, all wires are in place. I only had bother with a pipe at the front & the radiator being in the way. Any more specifics on which wire & where?

As for the top pipe - i put that in the other day. There is perhaps a small difference when the car is running, but it's made no difference to this problem i have on start up.

If i sit there & let the revs calm down, then i'll not get this problem either (i think anyway). But who does that? I start up & go. Never had bother between September & February.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Sounds like a dodgy idle control valve perhaps? If the revs flutter loads when first started then something isn't right and initial guesses would be ICV or EGR...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    See that's the thing though, everything seems normal. The revs aren't crazy. They're probably somewhere around 1.2k at a guess without waiting until the morning & having an exact figure.
    After a couple mins maybe they then die down to perhaps 800/900.

the only real 'problem' i've noticed with the car is this power-freeze 1st thing in a morning. I could run 6 mile to work, turn the engine off, re-start 7 go to set off again & i'd be A-ok. It's ONLY when stood still for a long while.

I've a funny feeling the only answer to this would be a visit to Vaux. May as well take them a blank cheque too & ask them what figure they feel like writing in there

fdrightup
    could it be the cts(coolant temp sensor)

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it's on cold startup, but okay after it's warmed up, look for cracks in your exhaust manifold.....

Thinking being that once warm the metal expands and 'selas' the crack...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Check How-To's for cleaning Throttle Body & the EGR Valve.

You may need to replace the EGR Valve if cleaning does not help.

Do you get any lights on the dash?

Could be your clutch playing up too.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    If i sit there & let the revs calm down, then i'll not get this problem either (i think anyway). But who does that?
    I do actually
    This is evolution
    The monkey, The man, then the gun

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coo View Post
    If it's on cold startup, but okay after it's warmed up, look for cracks in your exhaust manifold.....

Thinking being that once warm the metal expands and 'selas' the crack...
    I understand that, but how quick will it warm up to be enough to seal?
    For e.g. i started the car up tonight, put my work gear in the boot (not much, just boots & jacket), put my trainers on, got in & drove away.
    All this was no more than 1minute & there were no hesitation problems at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete 2 View Post
    Check How-To's for cleaning Throttle Body & the EGR Valve.

You may need to replace the EGR Valve if cleaning does not help.

Do you get any lights on the dash?

Could be your clutch playing up too.
    No lights

clutch seems fine to me

TB has been cleaned

Does the Z18XE have an EGR valve or am i thinking of some other valve that it doesn't have? Hmm, so many bloody abbreviations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast