Thread: Replacing Steering Rack

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Replacing Steering Rack

Hey all, after replacing my track rod end I am still getting some play in my wheel, the track rod end was 100% gone as i could see it move but not the steering rack arm, but now when i move the wheel i can see the steering rack arm move, only on the passengers side, on the drivers side there is little to no movement at all so I am assuming i need to replace my steering rack. How big of a job is this to do, is it something i can do myself or will it need to be on a pit/ramps? If it is something I cant do myself how much am i looking at paying a garage to do it for me? I had a quick look about and can get a recon one with 2 years warranty for about £100 is this a good price?

Cheers for any help.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Main part is dropping the subframe really, i did it on my own within about 3 hours, just had it up on axel stands

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah right, think it is doable on my drive with some axle stands and a fairly basic tool kit, any specific tools i would need or am I best just picking up a Haynes manual, was there anything that was very tricky to do and not as straight forward as it should have been? Cheers.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are all the racks the same and if not are they interchangable or do i need to get one the exact same as my original and if so how do I find out what type mine is?

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the racks are all the same.
    you'll need some rope to taxe the weight of the radiator, unless you remove it completely.
    you'll need something to take the weight of the engine. 2 engine mounts have to be undone.
    you will probably need a ball joint seperator, though you might get away without one.
    something to lower the subframe on, a pallet trolley would be ideal.
    a breaker bar because some of those bolts will be bloody tight!
    a torque wrench and angle gauge if you want to tighten it back up properly.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I think I am going to get my bosses friend to do it for me who is a mechanic, shouldnt charge me any more than £150 labour to do it, probably closer to £100 though but want to get him to confirm it is the steering rack as I am not 100% sure.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spoke to the guy today, he reckons its just the tie rod thats gone and is gonna replace that, does this sound about right?