Thread: Problems removing front seats

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Problems removing front seats

Brought Vectra seats for my Astra a month ago and really keen to replace the front seats. Finally got the right bit to remove the bolts. Removed the seatbelt bolt, no problem. Removed the rear 2 "outboard" bolts - the ones nearest to the side of the car - on both seats. Removed the 4 plastic tabs. But the "inboard" rear bolts (nearest to centre console) are being a right b*tch - it starts turning for quarter a turn then stops completely solid - it won't turn in either direction. I've used a lot of WD40. I'm using the correct bit - T40 with a 1/2" drive socket spanner with all my weight on the spanner directly above the bolt but the spanner keep slipping/popping out despite that the bit is a snug fit.

How best to remove those 2 bolts? Keep in mind, they both won't turn in either direction.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you'll need to drill them out I think

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh you're not joking...

How do I drill them out without damaging the thread in the car body?

Thanks for your time!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not long had the same probleam putting GSI seats in my astra, i took the head off with a grider coz drilling was 2 slow 4 my liking, dont need 2 worry TOO much about threds as its just a nut under the floor helt up by lugs, i smashed the screw n nut down n just put in a new screw and nut....which is pretty annoying 2 do lol

if you take the head off the screw so u can lift off the seat you could weld a nice big nut to the top of the left overscrew what i was aiming to do

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You DON'T need to drill anything out.

The bolts are held in with Loctite (nice 1 Vauxhall )

Anyway, undo half turn, then tighten back up quarter turn.
    Keep doing this & it will eventually break the Loctite & the bolt will start to undo.

Don't force it though.
    If it constantly slips you will eventually round the bolt off & you will need a garage to weld a nut onto it & then undo with a socket & rachet.

I did mine with a torx socket bit & rachet.
    Some use a breaker bar instead of rachet, as it is solid steel bar & won't give way under pressure.

HTH

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The trouble with that reply Pete although it's the correct reply is that he's stated the bolts won't move, either forward or backward. So he's unable to break the seal of the Loctite. If he could get them moving again it's the correct way to remove them.

Before you attempt to remove the heads try a sharp metal chisel. Position it on the edge of the bolt head and hit it hard, best bet is to try and tighten the bolt again as it should be looser in that direction. Once you get the bolt moving again you can try the loosen/tighten approach
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are the vectra seats better?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Update: Went to a local garage around the corner to me, the guy there removed the bolts with some difficulty with his socket set. I think his tools are a lot better quality than the £1.50 eBay special T40 bit I used!

Fitted standard Vectra seats - the ones I got are really grimy and a little worn but *so* much more comfortable than the Astra seats I just removed - my back no longer hurts sitting in them! Lap of luxury!