Thread: a question about sat nav console to anyone who has one

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

a question about sat nav console to anyone who has one

im going to mod a centre console to take a 5 inch sat nav in astra g , a few questions for anyone that has done it how did you get on with gps reception to your sat nav was it afected.also how did you mod the on/off button to turn it on and off i have saw the how to do one but thats not for sat nav.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Reception on mine was fine but I had an external aerial as well just in case (worked fine without though). Not sure about on/off button as I bought a permanent installation wiring loom for it so had it all plumbed through the car's electrics - it just turned on and off with the ignition.

Most satnavs will turn on and off with the car's ignition so if you have it wired to a switched 12V supply (cigarette lighter for example or perhaps the switched live in the stereo wiring loom) then it should do this without needing to push any buttons.
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It'll require a dedicated car kit to turn it on and off. Otherwise you'd just be charging it with an ignition voltage and have no on/off functionality.

Shifty, yours was a tomtom car kit and designed to turn it on and off, if, like some of the others have done with the newer satnavs, you'll need to extend the switch wiring to somewhere convenient.

However you could still take ignition live and use that to power / charge it whilst driving. Don't use perm live as that'll drain the battery.
    1.9 cdti (120) black ASH
    Wanted: Black VXR Grille!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmelody View Post
    It'll require a dedicated car kit to turn it on and off. Otherwise you'd just be charging it with an ignition voltage and have no on/off functionality.

Shifty, yours was a tomtom car kit and designed to turn it on and off, if, like some of the others have done with the newer satnavs, you'll need to extend the switch wiring to somewhere convenient.

However you could still take ignition live and use that to power / charge it whilst driving. Don't use perm live as that'll drain the battery.
    This is true but my Garmin one also turns on and off with the ignition when it is plugged into the cigarette lighter (a switched live) - no different to the wiring loom to be honest but obviously it makes it a bit simpler to connect it all up.

If you wanted to install it permanently then it would be a simple case of taking the lead that normally plugs into the cigarette lighter, stripping it and then taking one to ground and the other to any switched live source (the back of the cigarette lighter, the switched live in the stereo wiring loom etc).
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oooh look at you with your fancy pants sat nav! I have a CD70 which doesn't seem to know where anything is.
    1.9 cdti (120) black ASH
    Wanted: Black VXR Grille!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My satnav cost about £80 and also seems to struggle to direct me anywhere useful. It's also slow as anything so that by the time you realise you're supposed to make a turn you've already gone past the road. I miss my old TomTom GO700 - maybe I'll take it to bits and see if I can resurrect it!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh mine's a garmin turns on/off with ignition ...its permanently wired to the cigarette lighter socket as well ... signals fine even picks up traffic as well

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenmelody View Post

what sat nav have you got fitted and where did you get the dedicated car kit

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a TomTom 700 and I bought a permanent docking kit for it. Not sure if you can get them anymore but maybe have a look on ebay and amazon and pick up a used kit??