Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

3 car crash (Whos to blame)

Had a bump today on the way home (Not in the Astra thank god)

Middle lane of motorway stopped and the van in front brakes hard and stops, I brake hard and stop too.

Girl behind brakes hard but skids into the back of me (At about 10 mph) which pushes me into the van.

Whos fault would it be and who's insurance will be liable?

As I was stopped and didn't hit the van till the girl went into me will I still have a claim against me?
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    guy who hit you mainly but yours for stoping to close to the car in front. although nothing you could do about it.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had the same thing happen to me in my 306.the car infront of me had stopped i had stopped,jeep come round a corner behind me,ran into the back of me sent me into the car infront then some one else ran into the back of the jeep then it hit me again.
    the car that hit the back of the jeep had to pay all the damage which i thot it would have been the jeep but no.
    dont no what happend with the other cars but mine was writen off wasnt happy.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had exactly the same thing happen to me a few years ago, except it was in the outside lane.

I had to claim off the person who went into the back of me, & the person who I was pushed into had to claim off my insurance, then my insurance claimed that off the person who hit me.
    So, the person who went into the back of me paid for all the damage to both cars.

And yes, my car was also written off.
    Car behind hit me at about 50 mph.
    Both myself & the driver in front were stationary.
    My car was sandwiched, front & rear damage.
    The other 2 drivers went to hospital with whiplash, & me who copped it all was fine.

Anyway, my claim went as above.

Atleast your ok though mate.
    How's the car?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We were all ok,

Traffic had slowed/stopped so the van driver did too and so did I.

The girl almost stopped but not quite, Skided only for about 10 foot so hit me at about 10 mph.

My front bumper has a slight mark on it and the rear bumper was pushed into the bumper bar and mis shaped it slightly. Although I have just had a look under the car and where the bracket is bolted to the chassis it has cracked a weld and moved about 2mm (Max) and lost some of its under seal (Bash with a hammer and under seal would fix it ).

If I hadnt have hit the van I told her it wouldnt have been worth me claiming so saving her a claim against her as her car was the worse one with a slightly bent bonnet. Even her headlights were fine it was such a slow inpact.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If the front bumper's only got a slight mark on it surely there can't be too much wrong with the van? In which case the girl might be able to square up with you both and save all the insurance agro?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Spoke to the van company and they are going to check and see what (If any) damage there is and are quite happy to keep it out of the insurance company's hands.

Realisticly I would say the van has maybe a scratch at the most from what I remember, my car has a scratch on the front bumper and would need the rear bumper replaced and sprayed (Second-hand bumper and spraying £200 tops) and then that leaves her needing her bonnet straightened or replaced but keeps her no claims etc.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where theres more than 2 involved in a "domino" accident the last car is usually the one to fork the bill.

if you were in the middle then whoever hit you is classed at fault....
    No longer GSi power
    Dirty Derv Decked Vec is the way forward for me!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    So, the bloke who was at the front paid nothing - he was driven into the back off - the middle car paid to repair the front car - and the last car eventually paid for the lot.

It's as I said before - if you drive into the back of someone you are to blame - just proves my point in the other post.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would be the person that crashed into the back of you, you and the person in front should be claiming off the person that locked up and went into the back of you cuz the insurance would turn around to that person and say they should of had enough room in front of them to stop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast