Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Puncture

kr00zin_uk

Slow Puncture

One of my tyres has always had a slow puncture for as long as I can remember and it loses about 1 psi a week. The other 3 tyres have never noticeably lost anything as I check them fairly regularly and they are always at the same psi.

All of my tyres are now due to be replaced as they are reaching the legal minimum, so my question is, will replacing the tyre eliminate the slow puncture?

Or is the slow puncture the result of a faulty valve that won't be replaced?

kr00zin_uk
    I forgot to mention that the slow puncture doesn't seem to be the result of something visibly puncturing the tyre.

It just seems to be losing pressure faster than the other tyres.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it could be either, at least if you change the tyres you know its the valve and vice versa.

Just try it and see really.

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by kingthechris View Post
    it could be either, at least if you change the tyres you know its the valve and vice versa.

Just try it and see really.
    Thanks for your help mate - much appreciated!

If it is the valve, how do I go about getting that changed? And roughly how much would it cost?

I take it that the valve is seperate from the tyre and won't get changed when it is replaced?

Also I thought all modern tyres were tubeless, in which case what are we still pumping air into tyres for?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the valve will set you back about £4 from a tyre place mate. yes theyre pretty much all tubeless hence the valve isn't always removed its part of the rim not the tyre. there is a strong bead seal around the tyre to the rim, which in some cases (on older tyres) can break meaning a loss of air however more often than not its a dodgy valve mate.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you get the tyre changed and it still leaks just take it back to the people who fitted the tyre as they will have facilities to replace valves too.

Valves are really in-expensive so maybe wanna try replace this first? Unless you need tyres anyway.

kr00zin_uk
    Surely after changing the valve, the tyre will need to be balanced and re-aligned again?

I don't really fancy paying for balancing and alignment twice. Once for the replacement of the tyres and again for the replacement of the valve.

Hmm, I think as suggested I will replace all the tyres as they need replacing anyway and see how it goes. If it's still losing pressure, then I will get the valve replaced...

Thanks for all your help chaps!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    personally I would tell them there is a slow puncture in it and you are not sure if its the valve or tyre, ask them to put the wheel with the old tyre in the water test and if it leaks from the valve then they know to replace both at once whereas if it leaks from tyre seal or the tyre you know you just need a tyre replaced - gives them less work as they only have to take the tyre off once and then you know it is sorted

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    I had this with one tyre on mine, truned out the old tyre hadn't 'sealed' along the edge of the alloy wheel properly (tyres were on the alloys when I bought them).

Since getting the tyre changed, Ive had no problems at all.

kr00zin_uk
    Quote Originally Posted by GTE_LET View Post
    I had this with one tyre on mine, truned out the old tyre hadn't 'sealed' along the edge of the alloy wheel properly (tyres were on the alloys when I bought them).

Since getting the tyre changed, Ive had no problems at all.
    Thanks, that's really helpful...

Now that you come to mention it, I don't remember having the slow puncture until I got new tyres the last time around, so that is probably the most likely cause of the problem.

Fingers crossed it goes away when I get all the tyres replaced then!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast