Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Bonnet Release Issue

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    john1981's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,180
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Bonnet Release Issue

    Guys,

    Sometimes I can't open my bonnet without someone pushing down the bonnet as I pull the release. Sometimes I have to push it down several times and pull the handle really far. Does the cable need replacing? Can the cable be adjusted?

    Thanks

    John
    Drives: Astra MK4 Coupe 2.2 & MK4 Estate 1.7TDI (Car Modification Diary)

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    hep's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    751
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just needs adjusting.
    theres a small bolt on the slam panel you undo it, move the cable along however much you need to then tighten it back up. Don't overtighten it, if you over tighten it you will stop the cable from moving in the rubber and will be unable to open the bonnet.

    don't fully close the bonnet until your sure you've got it in the right place.

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    john1981's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,180
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hep View Post
    just needs adjusting.
    theres a small bolt on the slam panel you undo it, move the cable along however much you need to then tighten it back up. Don't overtighten it, if you over tighten it you will stop the cable from moving in the rubber and will be unable to open the bonnet.

    don't fully close the bonnet until your sure you've got it in the right place.
    Cheers,
    Drives: Astra MK4 Coupe 2.2 & MK4 Estate 1.7TDI (Car Modification Diary)

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    Arshy's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hey peeps, iv got the same problem, iv managed to open it by having my dad press down on the bonet but whats the slam panel? lol i had a look on the underside of the bonet and cant see the cable or anything lol...can someone please piont me in the right direction?

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    LOCKO's Avatar
    South Central RO
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    hampshire
    Posts
    8,862
    Mentioned in
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    mine does the same but only since changing the grill to an after market one ........was fine with oe grill

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    joeyb's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshy View Post
    hey peeps, iv got the same problem, iv managed to open it by having my dad press down on the bonet but whats the slam panel? lol i had a look on the underside of the bonet and cant see the cable or anything lol...can someone please piont me in the right direction?

    Thanks!
    You don't adjust it on the bonnet you adjust it where the bonnet rests...Open the bonnet and look down lol - Thats the slam panel!

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    Dannyboy45's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    741
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have to pull mine about 5 times before i clicks open

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    NEVE'O's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    1,319
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    my coupes bonnet cable was coming loose all the time the screw securing it is a self tapper, to fix mine I removed the clamp and nipped it up slightly so it was a tighter fit on the cable, then drilled out the hole in the clamp slightly so i could get a small nut and bolt through it, then refitted and done it up f* tight, now it feels extremely solid and pops every time!

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    joeyb's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannyboy45 View Post
    i have to pull mine about 5 times before i clicks open
    Just needs adjusting, literally takes a couple of minutes.

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    Arshy's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joeyb View Post
    You don't adjust it on the bonnet you adjust it where the bonnet rests...Open the bonnet and look down lol - Thats the slam panel!
    Cheers for that mate, found what you mean and u took off the cover under the mechanism bit to find the cable...im not sure what i need to tighten to make it work properly though lol...any advise?

    Thanks in advance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Bonnet release tab.
    By antonyand in forum Bodywork and Exterior
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2011, 00:54
  2. Bonnet Release
    By RootDogg in forum Bodywork and Exterior
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-09-2008, 22:31

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •