Thread: Bodykit help..

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Bodykit help..

Hi guys, I'm requiring some assistance with the front spoiler i'm fitting to my car. I had a wack at it yesterday and a few problems cropped up. The spoiler is this one:

Bought it off fleebay, and was advertised for 3dr and 5dr versions, lined it up a little prior to spraying and it seemed fine, couldn't tell 100% because of the existing plastic splitter that was on there.

So after spraying and allowing to dry, got round to fitting and it was a bit bigger than the bumper so extends further on the edges (sticks out towards the wheels), it's around an inch on either side. I'm thinking I can just cut these bits off with an angle grinder but I'm not sure on how to seal the ends off again so there's no gap there. Advice on this would be appreciated.

Secondly, I'm a bit worried that it won't hold, I have used sikaflex all round but I'm thinking I should put some screws in somewhere, question is where!? There were 4 bits on the inside two on the outer edges and two on either side of the middle. The bits on the outer edge had holes for screws but they didnt slot in anywere and were getting in the way so I chopped em off. Now I'm thinking I need to put screws in somewhere to put my mind at rest and make sure it holds on properly, so my question is, any ideas where or how I can put some screws in?

On the plus side, the car's looking much better, the front looks a lot beefier than before I'm gonna try and sort the above issue tonight when I get home from work, as well as putting on the sideskirts so your help would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With regards to the end which is near the tyre
    a junior hacksaw or similar would do the trick
    i would then use the section you have cut off to fill the gap in effect again by cutting.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can you get any screws in at a angle from the bottom?
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Gregg, I was thinking the same thing, was just looking for other options that might give a better finish, suppose I can use body filler if needs be, thanks for that.

fingz - That wont be possible as it would just come out the front, what I was thinking however, was to make a few brackets using some copper pipe (flatten and make into an 'L' shape) then stick one side using the sikaflex to the inside of the skirt and the other onto the underside of the bumper, not sure how well this will do the job though. Thanks for the tips guys, I'll post some before and after pics once I'm done, hopefully before the weekend!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nice idea yeah go for some brackets just to be on the safe side one either side and one at the front maybe?
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fingz999 View Post
    nice idea yeah go for some brackets just to be on the safe side one either side and one at the front maybe?
    Think I might go one better to be extra extra safe and put one at both ends and two either side of the middle

P.s for anyone using SikaFlex, wear some gloves