Thread: question re plasma dials

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

question re plasma dials

ive seen the plasma dials on this site a few times now and think they look amazin, ive read that they are relatively easy to fit, but involve removing the sppedo needles.My question is are the needles easy to remove/put back on??
    my concern is if i get them off how do i know if ive got them back on in the correct place etc, or is there only one way they will og back on?

thinking really about calibration, springs???

any advice folks??

also wheres the best place to get the dails from , looking for 160mph & 7000rpm
    1.8 excluciv convertible '06 (silver lightninig)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are a couple of ways to remove the needles but my favourite is a fork. Remove the glass so you can get to the needles, get a piece of card and a normal fork you eat with. Slide the fork under the needle boss, I use the middle hole in my 4 pronged forks. Slide the card under the fork where it's touching the dial mat. Now once you've got the fork right under the needle just press down, as the fork rocks on it's pivot point the needle will lift. Make sure you keep an even pressure and don't tilt the fork. The needles are on pretty tight so expect a cracking sound when they pop loose, that's normal.

Best way to get them back on in the correct place is this. Refit the clocks without needles and without the glass. Start the car, stop the car and the needle pins will now be zeroed. Lightly press on the needles where you think they should go at zero, maybe taking a pic of them BEFORE you removed the needles will help. Once they are on start the car again. Stop car and see if the needles reset back to where they should be at zero. If any have moved just pull off and start again. It's normal for you to have to do this once or twice on some needles, some will be perfect the first time. Once your satisfied where they rest then press the needle a little harder. DON'T press too hard or the needle will touch the dial mat and read wrong, just ensure they aren't going to fall off whilst in motion is good enough.
    Remove speedo and refit glass, refit speedo and job done.

Be aware that plasma dials suffer greatly with poor needle lighting. When it's dark you'll have a job seeing where they are as a rule.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers,
    im in 2 minds weather to attempt this or not now..........................
    1.8 excluciv convertible '06 (silver lightninig)