AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Applying for vauxhall

Hey

Really a bit of a random topic this.

Im 17, lol, I work at a pet shop. I left one of the top grammar schools in the country last year with 10 higher level gcse's in everything, maths, english, science. Etc.

I work in a pet sshop . . .

Basically i want a career with a major motor manufacturer, most likely vauxhall. I mean i drive a tuned mk4 1.4 astra and i love my cars, im mad about them.

I just wanted some adivce on how people got into their careers, i know theres some mechanics on here. Im thinking of applying for GM (yuk)

BUt vauxhall (hopefully not for much longer) are owned by them.

I know an apprenticeship is the best way, well its the only real way of getting in. If theres anyone who works for vauxhall on here who could give me some advice i would really appreciate it.

(what a sob story)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    working for car dealers dont pay the best
    what part of he uk are you from ??
    to start off with you will be cleaning up work shop making cups of coffee an tea

1.start off being the Oil boy I would say

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    best thing i can thing of is go ask to speak to the work shop manager ask him if he can offer you any thing
    audi,bmw,try all the dealers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I live in southend, near london, theres loads of car dealers around my area, loads.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I live in Hornchurch just down the A127
    call around try the work shop managers first up

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok will do, wud it be a bit like un professional to just turn up, is it worth taking cv's etc or not. Just see if theyre taking on apprentices.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoner_Pez View Post
    Ok will do, wud it be a bit like un professional to just turn up, is it worth taking cv's etc or not. Just see if theyre taking on apprentices.
    Could take a CV with you have you done any thing in Collage

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I wouldn't think it un-professional to just turn up. You could just say you're in the area & am interested & you wondered if.

At least face-to-face they HAVE to give you some sort of answer. If you send in a CV they could read it, they could file it or they could bin it with or without reading it. You never know.

Nothing wrong with asking in person imo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i went for an apprenticeship at Nissan when i was looking for a job! It was the only garage out of about 25 that i wrote to that replied! Again like you, i went to two grammar schools, one from yr 7-11, and then the top one in the county and one of the best in the country for 6th form, so walked away with good GCSES and a-levels!

Never got the job at Nissan after gettin A, B and C in their maths, english and mechanical tests! Jobs for us young people are far and few between nowadays when it comes to these types of jobs, as many do not have the money now to take someone on and train them up, even though at Nissan they sed i would be on less than a McDonalds workers for the first 2 years, but the training would cost them £11 000 a year!!!

Now i work for Telent which is basically formed from Marconi industries and Ericsson and they control about 60% of the UK's traffic based technology!

In other words i am a traffic based electrical engineer! Its not what i wanted to do ideally (electronics, telecomms etc) but its 2 years, pays well for an apprenticeship (13k), i get works phone, laptop, van etc! Even when i am at college, they have told me i have got the best GCSE grades of all 25 apprentices in my year, but as i keep telling them, it doesnt make a difference, as what i am doing there, i have never done before, so where they want me to get Distinction Merit, i am getting Passes and a few merits, which they dont seem to understand, and dont realise that most of the time i am struggling with the work they are setting us!

Sorry bout the essay and my life story, but basically i am saying that sometimes its not all about the grades, i have never even been asked to show my A levels, but that doesnt bother me as 6th form was the best 2 years of my life! If you want something badly, go for it, send out CV's everywhere and keep sending them! And ideally dont limit yourself to just Vauxhall, try all the other big car manufacturers, especially with the crisis GM are in right now, but all i can do is wish you good luck!
    Silver SRI-Prodrive'd & BBS'd MoFo! - SOLD
    Currently rolling a 1.7cdti MK5 Estate-turbo poooower!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yer i will do. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast