Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook

Any Driving Instructors on here - Advice wanted

I am thinking of a change in career and was toying with the idea of becoming a driving instructor but obviously have no idea of how to go about this and what is involved. Any advice on the hows and wheres would be great also what is this industry like to work in.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I did some research a few years ago into the same thing and found a pretty good forum (can't seem to find the link). I decided against it as there's not a lot of money to be made (take the "earn 30k a year" adverts with a massive pinch of salt). Expensive overheads, no paid holidays/sick pay. Most people work very long hours to make enough money.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my driving instructer worked for RED and he was taking home 21k a year.

Id love to do it... need patience for it so ive been told though lol

Best of luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I made a thread on this a bit ago mate, have a search.

I was well up for it but decided against it due to the fact you seem to need to work 24.7 to make any money.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Follow hotzafira On Twitter
    didnt you see that program about RED? said they didnt train the staff to a high standard,dont know moony just do your research first,be your own boss tho,ummmm would you let um learn in the bus?(think i no the answer) good luck matey

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra J VXR
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Add Moonman on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by hotzafira View Post
    didnt you see that program about RED? said they didnt train the staff to a high standard,dont know moony just do your research first,be your own boss tho,ummmm would you let um learn in the bus?(think i no the answer) good luck matey
    God no I wouldn't be using the bus.
    Summit White Astra J GTC VXR 2.0L Petrol Turbo (276 PS) with Aero Pack and 20's

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont know all the ins and outs but in my part time job im working along side a driving instructor and we were having a similiar chat and he commented that it takes around £3000 to get qualified, he said the 30,000 income is a joke its hard to get anywhere near that (hence why he is working to jobs) and he's running a franchise and after all other expenses is on only £7/hour after tax.

Hope that helps its not by any means gospel and I may be able to find abit more info out for you if I see him this weekend.

Ahh the last thing he said "Its a job you do because you love it"
    Mk4 Sri-T with Milltek resonated cat-back exhaust

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah there's that initial cost to pay for your qualification.

If you're not bothered about working long hours then that's a big hurdle that wont effect you. It put me right off as i'm not single. If i was single it wouldn't bother me the same.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well to be honest i'm training to be one atm and never seen the problems with long hours.... 7am- 5 or 7pm doesn't sound that bad at all to me

and i always enjoyed teaching people how to drive (in my old car at college car park with close friends lmao!) only recently thought it'd be a good career move for me
    >>Diary<< Status: ...........Slow and Steady.... may update more often...
    Last Updated: 27/10/2014

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MonkeeBoy View Post
    Well to be honest i'm training to be one atm and never seen the problems with long hours.... 7am- 5 or 7pm doesn't sound that bad at all to me
    To some it doesn't. These are driving instructors

The 7 starts don't mind me if that's what they are. It's the late finishes i don't like. Not being single means i'd like to see the missus when i finish work.

I hear the fee is 30k/yr. I also hear that's ambitious. I'd be happy on 20k/yr for it if i could do say 7-5:30 Mon-Fri with a bit of Saturday work & perhaps the odd Sunday, but from asking folk, it seems that's not possible.

I currently have a job where the finish time is never set & never will be set. Yesterday was 6:45pm.
    I see no enjoyment in finishing work late when you're starting early, going home, getting your tea, having a shower, having an hour or so to yourself before you go to bed to do it all over again.

To me that's living to work and not working to live.