Thread: Oil cooler on a MkIII 1.7td, is it nescessary?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Oil cooler on a MkIII 1.7td, is it nescessary?

Hi All,

The metal section of pipe linking my oil coller to the engine block has just split. Vauxhaul Dealers want £85 for the pipe and the cooler's connections are ceased; I doubt I will ever get it off without destroying the cooler.

How essential is the cooler? It's hardly a high power car, so I was surprised to see one there in the first place!!

I was planning to just bypass it?

any views on that idea?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Mike,

Is that the Isuzu or the GM engine? The oil cooler systems for these engines are quite different. I'm guessing yours is the Isuzu because there is no metal pipe to the engine block on my X17DTL.

In either case, you asked for views: I reckon the coolers were probably put there for a reason so I would just fix it. Maybe you could get a decent used part (?).

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paul.spencer View Post
    Hi Mike,

Is that the Isuzu or the GM engine? The oil cooler systems for these engines are quite different. I'm guessing yours is the Isuzu because there is no metal pipe to the engine block on my X17DTL.

In either case, you asked for views: I reckon the coolers were probably put there for a reason so I would just fix it. Maybe you could get a decent used part (?).

Cheers, Paul
    It's the GM engine, and I ask as I have ever seen an oil cooler on a production car so far.. but then I have not seen that many!

I'll have a look for a used part..

unless anyone else has any more info.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Mike,

If you have the GM engine (an X17DTL like mine) then there is a good chance that what you are refering to is the oil cooler adapter - the part sandwhiched between the oil filter and the oil pump.

If you are leaking oil from around there, you may be in luck as it is very likely that the adapter is not broken or split. There is a simple o-ring seal between the adapter and the engine block the fails. My old EPC says it is part number 90231030, but that may have been superceded by another number.

Only cost a few dollars for the seal here in NZ, probably even cheaper for you in the UK. Remove the oil filter and then undo the centre bolt piece with a 10mm Allen key. Fit the new seal and re-assemble.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hi Fella,

It's definateky the cooler - and the hardpipe that enters it that's split, I can see it weep from a crack, located infornt of the radiator...

I will try and source another cooler.

cheers

Mike

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Ok I get it now. Thought you were talking about a leak at the engine end not just split oil cooler pipe at the rad end.

Probably easiest to get a decent used cooler plus pipes from an auto-wrecker if you can.

I have been told that the diesels generate a fair bit of heat so I guess that's why they included oil cooling systems in the design. The Isuzus have a water cooled system and the GMs have the air cooled system.