Thread: Induction noise puzzle??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Induction noise puzzle??

I have been giving my car a bit of a treat recently, a good wash n wax, washed and waxed all my alloys, cleaned up all the exterior plastic trim (which im soon getting pained) cleaned the interior, replaced a few parts which were looking a bit tired.

I then moved onto the engine, replaced the oil and filter with good quality stuff, upgraded the plugs to bosch Super4's (which really make a difference), and made a start on tidying up the engine bay.

I wanted a change from the airbox so i purchased a cone filter as i think they look great and also i like the noise you get from them.

So removed the airbox and attatched the cone to the pipe which originally fastened to the airbox. Sounded great, but after a couple of days i noticed the performance was suffering a bit due to the cone filter getting too warm as its quite far back in the engine bay, so i placed it at the front next to the cold air feed and used a piece of drain pipe to fill the gap from the pipe to where the cone filter now is positioned.

Had a test drive, the performance is now much better as the cold air is keeping the filter a lot cooler, but...... here is the puzzle the induction noise is now a lot quiter, i would say about 50 per cent quieter,

Now Im all for better performance, and its good to know that the filter is staying cooler, but i miss the noise i had before as it really sounded nice, and im really puzzled as to why its now quieter, my mate reckons its due to the material the drainpipe is made of (plastic) sapping the sound, bit im not convinced... any thoughts guys?????

Cheers
    Black MK4 1.6 SXI, Just had a polish!!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also now been told the closer to the throttle body the cone filter is placed the louder the noise??? Is there any truth in this? Im not convinced as when i located it further forwards it was only moved about 4 inches, and i cant see that making so much difference??

Also does anyone know how much i can lower my mk4 SXi whilst running the standard 16 inch alloys without causing any problems???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is there definatly no splits or anything in the pipe? or where you have conected the pipes together?

Could also be quieter as its further forward in the engine bay and might drown out the sound when moving...

And pics of what you have done at all?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll get some pics up soon as i can. The connections were all good, i used proper hose connectors to make sure the job was a gooden!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its to do with how the air enters the throttle body the origional airbox is restrictive and the air has to weve its way through where as with a cone it flows firtually straight in hence the increse in performance but there is no swirl in the incoming air you could therefor actually have less air entering the system its hard balance that has to be just right

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well performance has been increased as I said, but is best now that I have the cone next to the cold air feed, cos sucking in hot air is sueless that just hinders performance. Whats bugging me is why the difference in sound???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well as you have said normally it would get louder but the answer has just slapped me in the face you have a resonator on you induction system this will now be holding dead air as you put your foot down from a standstill. have you noticed that as you pull away it is slightly more "jerky" (mite shudder a bit)???

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No not at all, there is no shudder or jerking, when i set off its very smooth, when you say a 'resonator' are you meaning the area i have created inside the piece of pipe i used to bridge the gap???

are we getting a bit beside the point which i originally stated at the beginning of this post. Why is the Induction noise louder when the cone filter is fitted further back in the engine bay, closer to the throttle body, and when its moved further forward using a longer piece of pipe to locate it there does it get quieter??

Or are we still on that?????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I fitted my cone directly in place of the airbox (Z18XE), and it sits very far forward in the engine bay and makes bu99er all noise.

I hacked the old induction piping to bits when changing the radiator so threw that away as its shite. I meant to replace it with a Vectra C intake pipe but cant yet be ar5ed to do it, as the car seems to run ok. Theres a big gap now where the old piping above the radiator used to be which i think lets in enough air.

I will see how this goes this weekend from Scotland to PV

Original airbox, panel filter and Vectra C induction pipe is reportedly the best way forward.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine now sits as far forward as it can, it gets plenty of cold air from the original feed ( which i am going to change for a Veccy C one) but as ive said it makes bugga all noise, if i want noise i need to move it back upto where it was originally (fastened to pipe from throttle body), but i wont be doing that as it got too warm, think i'll jus lob the Cone Filter in the garage and put the OE airbox back in with a panel filter, would be nice to have a nice induction sound, but im fed up of messing around now.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast