Thread: Blistered centre console

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Blistered centre console

Originally i sprayed my console black and was going to put a design on it to break up the black a bit. This went wrong and i had to get it back to the primer. Cause i was lazy and wasn't in the mood i used some nitromers (i know now that it is not good using this on plastic as it eats away at it). I eventually got it smooth again using filler primer and primer. I tried spraying again (this is all done with rattle cans). Primer was fine but when i used paint on console i was getting a reaction in some places (don't think i remember any in part shown). I thought it may have been the paint so as i had other bits to get sprayed (rest of console, bump strips and door handles) i thought i would get them sprayed at a body shop. I got them all smoothed and primered up and they sprayed them for me. Everything was fine until i went out the car when it started to get quite hot and found this.

All other bits sprayed are fine. It is only the top part of console that has blistered. Not sure what bodyshop used paint wise (i.e. two pack or cellulose) or if they laquered them . I have already started on a spare and was wondering if people think this is a result of the suns heat through the window and because black absorbs heat or if this could be down to the fact that i have used nitromers on it before respraying and heat has made it react under paint. Sprayed console in my last car silver and had no problems but silver will reflect more heat away. If it is the paint reacting with heat i will have to think about using some black heat resistant paint and do rest of the bits in the same stuff.

hope you can help
    MY CAR DIARY Astra Mk4 Sri-T

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had the same problem with dark blue, and its happening again to my white console, although its not as bad.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    this to happened to mine (know way near this bad) but i was told on hear that you have to sand it right down to orignal and then even further lol.
    i am still sanding mine so not sure if this will stop it happening again.
    The early bird might get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there is like a thin rubberized coating on them that needs to be sanded back to solid plastic. once done plastic primer it and this will not happen. gotta redo mine in the next couple of days.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mick View Post
    there is like a thin rubberized coating on them that needs to be sanded back to solid plastic. once done plastic primer it and this will not happen. gotta redo mine in the next couple of days.
    exactly what he said, just keep sanding away untill its all sanded away

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As the centre console will be coming out eventually i thought i would cut through paint and have a look

The bits of paint i pulled off all had primer on the back of them and some other black glossy stuff. My mind has gone blank and i can't think if this a coat of paint underneath. Whats left where paint has been taken off is black and glossy with what looks like raised cracks. You can see on some pics that the primer and paint have risen together so it doesn't just look like it is the paint paint blistering (unless i am seeing this wrong). I can remember that the rubberized texture was sanded back though. Hoping it is just that i didn't get rid of an old coat of paint.

any more comments on this would be great

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it may be because you have used nitromours and contaminated the plastic, you may need a new center console

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    From looking at it (although photos aren't too clear) it appears as though you haven't sanded it quite enough. We experienced the same problem the first time we sprayed my console and had to sand it all back to a smooth finish.

The black bits have a sort of satin finish on them which needs to be sanded back completely or it reacts with the paint and blisters.
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SXI Davis View Post
    lol @ the seemingly angry face in your paint peel.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    now that you pointed it out LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast