Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Air-con re-gas (Renault Scenic) expensive?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter

Air-con re-gas (Renault Scenic) expensive?

my mum is looking to sell her scenic, and after some persuasion has decided to get the a/c re-gassed as it has never been great, but she has lived without needing to use it.

advised her to get it looked at as it may just be a re-gas, but a potential buyer may look at it as it maybe something more serious, and knock £100 or so off the asking price so as they can get it fixed.

anyway, she has taken it into our local garage, who i have used regularly, and they have said for them to look at it and re-gas it will cost £65! is this expensive or about the norm for a re-gas? not having had to have it done in the past, am un-sure as to whether this is steep or not?
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

kr00zin_uk
    I've just looked on kwik fit for a comparison:

http://www.kwik-fit.com/about-air-conditioning.asp

However I can't seem to find their price. From what I remember on the sign when driving past my local one, it was something like £45. With a no-charge guarantee if your vents aren't more than 10% cooler.

To be honest, it doesn't seem to be too bad a quote, but I doubt whether a new buyer would run the A/C system long enough to test how effective her air con is, as they would have nothing to compare it with and not have the sort of equipment to test it's temperature properly anyway.

As your mum is selling the car on, as long as it looks like it's working properly and seems to cool air slightly more than when not using it, then I wouldn't worry about it.

At the end of the day that's what windows are for and I don't think many people would not buy a car because the air conditioning wasn't quite up to scratch. Then can always re-gas it themselves if it's a problem for them down the line. Were not exactly in the hottest country are we? And how did people manage a few years ago without it?

I think you can also buy the gas from somewhere like Halfords and do it yourself, assuming you know what to do for your mums vehicle.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by kr00zin_uk View Post
    I've just looked on kwik fit for a comparison:

http://www.kwik-fit.com/about-air-conditioning.asp

However I can't seem to find their price. From what I remember on the sign when driving past my local one, it was something like £45. With a no-charge guarantee if your vents aren't more than 10% cooler.

To be honest, it doesn't seem to be too bad a quote, but I doubt whether a new buyer would run the A/C system long enough to test how effective her air con is, as they would have nothing to compare it with and not have the sort of equipment to test it's temperature properly anyway.

As your mum is selling the car on, as long as it looks like it's working properly and seems to cool air slightly more than when not using it, then I wouldn't worry about it.

At the end of the day that's what windows are for and I don't think many people would not buy a car because the air conditioning wasn't quite up to scratch. Then can always re-gas it themselves if it's a problem for them down the line. Were not exactly in the hottest country are we? And how did people manage a few years ago without it?

I think you can also buy the gas from somewhere like Halfords and do it yourself, assuming you know what to do for your mums vehicle.
    many thanks for the advice there. am not even sure if the air is made any cooler at all, tbh, have never really bothered to try it out for myself. am not insured to drive the car, and very rarely go in it. going by what she has told me, it pretty much does nout pressing the A/C button. she has got it booked in now anyway, perhaps their price included extra work to be done, i don't know til i speak to her later.

just thought though as i said before, if it is just a re-gas, i think it sounds alot of kwik fit you think advertised it for £45.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Go to halfords and get a pressure test, its free and its the same test that kwik fit does and they'll tell you whether there is a leak or not aswell
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i just used a halfords kit o top mine up and it seem so working ok atm. ATEOD if she is selling it, do the cheap option, go to halfrauds and ge the kits, top it up day before they get there, and they dont worry about it!

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Them halfords kits are shite!
    Get it done by trained people.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    working fine! and more to see if there is a leak than anythink. as i had it cleaned and regassed last year for £60, and its gone, rather spend £30 and get it cool and see if it goes then £45, then find out its broke!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah but if it doesn't make the car cooler you don't pay, it says that on the bumph.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    true! but i got mine done at alfa romeo as the quick fits arounf me are shit, the last time i went in the got the engine warning light on but were adamant it wasnt them, so i dont trust them! lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My mate is the manager of our one, rides an R1 and drives a 928 v8 porsche g/f as an Evo and his workers are car/bike mad.
    Known him for 20 years so i trust him to lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast