Thread: AstraLee - MK4 SXI Project - First Car Diary

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

AstraLee - MK4 SXI Project - First Car Diary

First Car, First Diary, so here it goes......

I'm mainly doing this as I've been with out my car for over a month as its undergoing some surgery and I'm starting to forget what it looks like.

Model: Astra MK4 1.6 SXI (TwinPort) 04 Plate

Purchase Date: 07/12/2006

Purchase Price: 5k with 25k Mileage + 12 months Tax

History: After looking at AutoTrader everyday all day i came across an Astra at a garage not too far away, so i decided to go and have a look. This was the first car i went to see and the last, I put a deposit on it and went back a few days l8r with the rest of the cash. I thought it was a bargain really considering the car was only 2.5 years old, originally i was looking for a black one but they were all around £1k extra for the same spec, so i bit the bullet. My mates thought i were crazy considering i had not looked at any other cars, but i was happy.

First Pic - Car @ The Garage

MODS

De-Restricted Airbox
    Vectra C Airbox Inlet Pipe
    K&N Panel Filter
    INNX Bonnet Lifters

Exterior

Colour-Coded Single Slat Grille
    Irmscher Front Splitter
    Replica Eyebrows (REMOVED)
    Irmscher Eyebrows
    Irmscher Bonnet Extension (In Progress)
    Completely De-Badged
    Irmscher Rear Lamps, Smoked
    Irmscher Rear Boot Spoiler
    Replica GSI Spoiler (REMOVED)
    Irmscher Rear Splitter
    Irmscher Rear Twin Round Silencer
    Chrome Mirorr Covers (REMOVED)
    Irmscher Petrol Cap Cover (REMOVED)
    Vauxhall Wind Deflectors (REMOVED)
    Coupe Side Skirts
    Colour-Coded Bump Strips
    Colour-Coded Roof Strips
    GSI B Pillar Covers
    Richbrook Bee-Sting Aerial

Interior

Carbon Effect Centre Console
    Blue LED Dash/Dials/MFD/Headlight Swith/Window Switches
    Richbrook Tax Disc Holder
    Rihcbrook Silver Door Pins
    Richbrook Handbrake Cover
    Irmscher Heater Dial Rings
    Irmscher Speedo Rings
    Irmscher Gear Knob

First Mod

My first mod was a Bee-Sting Aerial, after my easy mod i gave the car its first clean well worth the 4 hours. This cleaning session sparked the beginning of me cleaning it every weekend which lasted a good 6 months. Now i wash it once or twice a month.

Next Mod

My next mod was a new grille, originally i was going to get the irmscher cross-hatch but came across a single slat grille on ebay really cheap. I paid about £30 for this brand new from Germany, LMF at the time were selling this for about £80. It cost me £40 to colour-code, well worth it.

Next Few Mods

Follwing on from the grille, i decided i wanted an irmscher splitter. After browsing ebay managed to find once locally for £60 pickup in the correct colour. I decided to fit this myself will the help of a m8, I've got no pics of the progress unfortunately but it took longer than expected and discovered sikaflex was not as easy and clean to use as i was told.

Also changed the blulbs to ice white, alot better than the normal yellow colour and also removed the headlamp eyebrows.

After a trip to Bescot Market in Walsall (Up the Saddlers) I found a little hut who made number plates, so i decided to get some new plates. I've actually been pulled over by the police recently telling me the vauxhall badge on the number plate is illegal and i could get a £30 on the spot fine, they let me off, but i think they were just after an excuse to pull me over.

Next Few Mods

Now the front was complete, i decided i needed to sort the rear out. So back again to ebay to hunt for some bargains. I ended up buying some Irmscher Rear Lamps (Smoked), Irmscher Rear Boot Spoiler and an Irmscher Rear Splitter. And here is the result

Future

Currently my car is in the body shop and has been for nearly 4 weeks. I'm having loads of work done, so it should look amazing when it's done.

Mods in Progress @ Body Shop

Front Splitter smoothed into the bumper
    Rear Splitter smoothed in the bumper
    Irmscher Eyebrows
    Irmscher Bonnet Extension
    Coupe Side Skirts
    Colour-Coded Bump Strips
    Colour-Coded Roof Strips
    GSI B Pillar Covers
    OEM Mirrors inc surrounds sprayed in gloss black
    Bonnet re-laquered
    Bonnet grille re-sprayed

I will post up some pics when its finished, i should be picking the car up next week so until then.......

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Below are some updated pics of the car at the body shop. It should be ready late next week so will have the final pictures.

Front Bumper Blended with Irmscher Splitter

This needs a little more work but is basically ready for spraying same goes for the rear.

Rear Bumper Blended with Irmscher Splitter

Irmscher Bonnet Extension Repaired

This still needs some work but is nearly there. I got this for £30 which is a bargain but it was snapped in 2 places.

Rear Boot Lid

I'm also having the rear boot re-sprayed mainly because i wanted the Vaux badge removing and the holes filled in.

Extra Pics

Random Pic

1959 Mini currently in restoration, don't think it will see the road for a while

I'm going to see the car again on Tuesday so should have some upto date pics so until then ..........

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Went to see the car today, unfortunately my m8 has been quite busy this week so not too much progress. But I'm having all this work done for practically nothing so i can hardly moan.

Below is the car in the booth just getting final prep on the boot ready for spraying.

Also got pics of some other cars he's currently working on.

1978 Mini Cooper

1972 Pontiac Trans Am (Limited Edition)

The Pontiac sounds amazing it's a 7.2 v8 never heard anything like it awesome.

My m8 has some free time next week so hopefully there will be quite alot of progress on my car, so until then.....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not much of an update unfortunately. When i saw the front bumper last week, i decided i wanted the air vents in the lower splitter cut-out and blended in because you could see the lower part of the bumper behind the splitter. This was not as easy as i thought, got some pics below, its not finished but its nearly there.

Also my m8 has just taken on a strange request, someone wants an old ambulance turning into some sort of hippy camper van, should be interesting.

I'm supposed to be getting my car back next week but i doubt it he's extremely busy but fingers crossed, if i get change to get some more pics next week i will, so until then ...........

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I finally got my car back a couple of weeks ago, and have only just had chance to give it the clean it deserves. Well below are some pics of the car finished, the only thing missing from my plans is the bonnet extension as my mate has had problems fixing it but hopefully i should have it soon.

This pic shows the rear with the bumper smoothed into the irmscher splitter, i also had the 2 pin holes filled where the vauxhall badge was. I also got rid of the chrome number plate surrounds.

This pic shows the front with the front bumper smoothed into the irmscher splitter. New irmscher eyebrows, and re-sprayed grille. Also ditched the number plate chrome surround.

My new refurbished alloys and gloss black drums, the alloy finish is a mild shadow chrome, looks better than the pics show.

I also had the rub strips, coupe sideskirts and roof strips colour-coded . Also in these pics you can see the new gloss black mirrors and surrounds.

Also had some b-pillar covers fitted, which have a carbon effect, it's hard to tell unless your close up.

Some other angles which show my hard work cleaning. . You can even see my mom's C2

I'm nearly happy with the outside, just a few final touches are needed. Next payday i will be getting the windows tinted all round which should complete the look i'm after. The bonnet extension needs adding. I also need to paint the left caliper, its the only one not painted mainly because i can't get the locking wheel nut off. finally i also need to buy a new stubby aerial my chrome one didn't look right after the changes.

For now thats it until next month when i get the windows done.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Extra Pics

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=216933

TO-DO-LIST

Bonnet Extension (In Progress)
    Window Tints
    Spray Grille Black (?)