Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Cigarette lighter bulb fitting?

Afternoon,

Thought I treat myself to a blue 286 bulb to compliment the two blue Car PC status LEDs I put just above the cigarette lighter. I took the cigarette lighter bulb holder to bits and found that the black plastic shield came out too. I managed to put it back in but it doesn't seem right. Is there any particular position that it should fit into?

Is it supposed to shine through the clear plastic vessel on the back of the ashtray too?

Cheers,
    Dave
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ditch the bulb shroud. It's not needed especially on LEDs. It's there to stop excess light from going down the ashtray light prism when the tray is shut. You don't need it.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oddjob View Post
    Ditch the bulb shroud. You don't need it.
    Yep, done that the other day .

The blue 286 bulb really dim. Am i right in thinking you're 'the man' when it comes to Mk4 LED conversion? Do you also sell the kit? If so, have you got a thread on it?

Thanks for the reply,
    Dave
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    LMAO am I the "MAN" I do know a great deal about converting the Mk4 units but I wouldn't call myself the man. The bulb is dim because you've probably got a yellow ring on the surround, this will defeat blue light to a great extent. You can try and find a cigar lighter surround from a cavalier as that has a clear surround and will light up better blue because of it.

I have some plans for the Mk4 ashtray, in fact I may have a look at it right now as I'm bored of doing heater unit conversions ATM. I do tend to do that a lot, get all involved in a specific unit and then hit a snag and just drop it until I feel like having another go.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

5. The following members like this post:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    I'm tempted on the blue conversion for my 51 plate SXi. Do you, or any AOC members that you know of, sell the kits?

I'm also assuming the kits tend to be LED rather than replacement bulbs too....

Cheers,
    Dave

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Kits do tend to be LEDs rather than blue painted bulbs. I do them if your interested.

I'm currently in the middle of making a few units which will be for sale. I've got a few blue MFDs using 12 LEDs and I've just finished a blue and red heater unit which will also be for sale.

Heater panel has 31 LEDs and looks identical to this one

MFD looks like this and is readable in bright sunlight

The heater is £35 if bought outright, the MFD is £22 if bought outright. However I'm willing to buy your old units once you've fitted the new ones, £8 for the MFD and £5 for the heater if it's got the filters and £10 if not.

These will be sold on a first come first served basis. If you want one let me know asap.

8. The following members like this post:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Oh and I've got a red heater and MFD and also some white MFDs and will have white heater units later this week.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Done my ashtray, well a quick job anyway.

Managed to get 5 LEDs into the ashtray itself to illuminate the tray and 7 blue LEDs onto the cigar lighter ring.

I've removed the cigar lighter so you can see it more clearly. The top blue LED is the cliffors alarm BTW

I'm thinking of putting a micro-switch onto the mechanism so that the tray lights up only as the tray fully opens.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how do i get in touch with oddjob

just to say gr8 site i really need to get in touch with oddjob as he's the man when it comes to leds so can somebody please point me in the right direction thanx tom

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    omg a red LED heater pannel would look awsome . ive recently fitted red leds into the grill covers in my speakers and it looks prety good.