Thread: 2001 Astra

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2001 Astra

I have an annoying problem with my 2001 TS Astra, 1.8L (Im in Aust, & assume its same as your Mk4).
    After driving 160000km with the usual routine maintenance, my emission light has come on, and stays on.
    When Diagnosed the code shows the code for the oxygen sensor.
    Having tried a new sensor and 100% ruled this out as the cause of the problem, I have now been advised that it would either be a ecu or a wiring problem.
    One other clue is that from the moment the emission light problem occured. the car has been running up to temp very quickly over a short distance, and the radiator fan always remains running after a short journey.

As for the water temp problem I would normally suspect a thermostat issue. It just seems strange that this seems related to the emission light saga, as its only happened since then.
    Q. Would I be right to assume it all relates to a faulty ecu. That is my guess. To complicate matters I cannot easily have the ecu checked before ordering a replacement.
    Any ideas appreciated.
    ajp3830(whinging aussie)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi ya and welcome to the club,

Right here goes, try changing the temperature sender unit, if that's faulty and is sending a i'm megga hot signal to the ECU,

the ECU will then send a signal to the fan switch to turn the fan on to try and keep it cool,

then because the fan is running all the time the fuelling will be altered, which could make it run abit rich,

then because it's running rich it would be picked up by the oxygen sensor and would put the emissions light on.

Only trying to help and it sounds feasible.

Good Luck,

Dave.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yup i agree with dave

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thankyou for your thoughts. I will follow up on your idea.
    AJP