Thread: Sudden loss of power, coughing, then seemingly OK again?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Sudden loss of power, coughing, then seemingly OK again?

Had a 10 mile drive up the motorway today...car fine for about 6 miles, then all of a sudden the power drops. It didn't so much slow down as just refuse to go faster, felt like someone was strangling the engine.

Sorted itself out within about 5 seconds, but had a few coughs/judders for the next few miles - noticed the LPG/petrol switch was flashing at this point (not out of LPG, at least 1/4 tank or more), it only flashes when it is running on petrol before switching to LPG after startup.

I flicked to petrol on the switch and I did get a judder a few seconds in, but then nothing since.

Drove home through town on petrol, no problems at all. Got home and flicked the switch to LPG - no issues either, it went onto LPG perfectly fine (engine noise changes and you hear the click of the LPG system kicking in). Gave it a good rev and still no problem.

No EML lights on (LPG parts won't set this off anyhow).

Very wierd - I can only liken it to when my old Nova had some muck in the fuel lines which kept blocking the carb jets. If the Nova stalled it would start again fine within a minute or two once the blockage had settled out.

It'll be getting a run to work tomorrow (30miles), so it'll either happen again or not I guess! I wondered if it was perhaps something as simple as some dirt in the TB? It's never been cleaned in 141,000 miles but has not really given me any need to clean it (had the judder on accel twice which has cleared itself within a week or so each time).

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I.d give the tb and egr a good clean now regardless of whether u feel it needs one or not. . .The fact its never been done leads me to suggest otherwise

Will at least eliminate that as a cause

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I figured that would be the first advice

It's had a few short runs on LPG today around town and has been fine - test will be if I get stuck on the A69 tomorrow or not! Unsure if I'll get the chance to clean the TB for a week or two what with everything non-car going on at the moment!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Did it twice again today - first on slower 60mph road (figured I'd give it a kick this morning to see what happened - it happened!), clutch in, engine stalled. Started it and it came back again but took it easy onto motorway.

Hit motorway, took it fairly gently to *cough* the speed limit and it bogged down again. LPG switch started flashing and I manually fixed it to petrol (which it had already switched to on its own). Gentle 60mph from then on to the next petrol/LPG station. Filled up LPG, put a bit of petrol in too just in case. Started on petrol, switched to LPG fine.

At a guess, whatever is happening kicks an error onto the LPG setup which then refuses to supply fuel. Killing the ignition (keys out) and restarting must somehow make it reset of sorts as it will then run on LPG fine. I don't think this is a fuelling issue directly in that case?

Got a mile from work and gave it some high rpms...darn thing was fine.

If I can I'll give the TB a clean this weekend, given there are as yet no EML lights on the dash (not even flickers when the problem occurs), with some form of luck it could be as simple as a gunged up EGR or TB.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Is there a Tech Guide on cleaning the TB? The one linked to in the usual location comes back with a page does not exist error?

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Z16XE engine in yours right?

-Remove induction hose, rocker cover breather hose and disconnect ATS sensor
    -Disconnect the two coolant hoses at the back of your throttle body one on either side ( but be ready for coolant spillage so either pinch the lines with some mole grips or something alike ) remove another rocker cover breather thats connected to the throttle body
    - Remove the throttle body loom, done by pressing a little grey tab in and sliding it backwards and then the plug just slides off
    - Throttle body is held on by E8 or E10 sockets, can just use a small 8mm socket on them to remove it

As for the cleaning, old toothbrush and some Carb cleaner on WD40 or some form of degreaser
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers, I'll try to have a go at this as soon as I can!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Could I get the car to repeat this problem today? Not a chance. It got a serious thrashing this afternoon and was perfectly fine...