Thread: Refurbing wheels for North West members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Refurbing wheels for North West members

I had my wheels done a few years ago by a fella in Scunthorpe called the Wheel Doctor, if you do a search of that name you'll see the great job he did on my Penta wheels.

Anyway I'm changing the 18s for some 17s as I got sick of the harsh ride the 215/35x18 tyres give and the damage that you get to the rims due to the lack of tyre support. I managed to get hold of 5 SE2 alloys and contacted him yesterday to check it was ok to get them done, as you can imagine Scunthorpe is a good distance away and I didn't want to turn up to find he was shut for hols etc. Even after 3 years he still remembered me and the colour we came up with which we called Shadow Titanium (by the way the wheels still look great, shame the wheels are buckled/flat spotted)
    He remembered I lived over Manchester way and offered to get his new partner to bring them over as he lives in Wigan, so I'm dropping them off this weekend and picking them up the following Friday. He goes over each monday and stays the week locally and returns friday in case you were wondering.
    I thought I'd let other NW members know about this as this bloke does a top notch job and his charges are very reasonable, last time it was £45 a wheel and that included straightening one wheel which had a very bad flat spot and the rim was buckled.
    He may charge a bit more now but I'll let you know if he does and I'll also post a few pics of the rims when they come back, I'm going for the same colour again as I love the look.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hey mate, am after getting some done, but quite damaged? And low budget =[ he powder or spray?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'll let you know the cost when I get mine back in a week or so.

Looking at the finish he gets I'd say he's a sprayer. It's kinda difficult I'd imagine to do Shadow Chrome in powders so I'd have to say he sprays.

Mine were done 3 years ago and the finish even today is close to perfect, no bubbling around the valve etc. Even when I scraped a wheel going down a pothole the paint chipped but didn't bubble around it afterwards.

I'd imagine his price now is about £50 a wheel, he charged me £45 3 years ago and that included straightening and de-flat spotted a very damaged wheel.
    52 Astra G 1.8, 18" Mille Miglia alloys, 325mm Brembo 4 pot conversion, Coupe leather interior, Raid strut brace, Whiteline rear ARB, Irmscher bits (skirts, Carbon steering wheel, Bonnet extension, M3 mirrors, boot & roof spoiler), Reiger Rear Diffuser & Front Bumper, Koni Adj. dampers, 35/30 Vogtland springs, Duplex quad exit ASCAR stainless exhaust.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sounds like a top bloke, just the kind of guy im looking for...except he is so very far away! which is a pitty!
    1.6 8 valve, 5 door, soon to be a 5 studded let with crusty arches

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a place in Widnes called National Alloys who are highly recommended.

You can drop your car off at 8:00am and collect it at 5:00 the same day, and that’s with all four wheels fully refurbished & balanced etc etc for £35 each.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can they paint them aswell that quick? im thinking of getting mine done in a dark gray colour

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine are currently in being done. I asked and he does a mix between powder and spay.
    He does the base colour in powder and then if required the top colour in spray. For instance mine will be powder coated gloss black as a base and then sprayed titanium until it looks like a shadow finish. It's then lacquered to preserve the paint.

Cost this time was £50 a wheel.

Sure I've been to National Alloys when they were in Prescot. If it was them the finish was awful and looked very orange peely. Where ever I went to was up near Knowsley Safari park way.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ken, Is that price for a bare wheel ?

No strip, refurb, refit and balance etc ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for this info, getting mine sorted over the summer and this sounds like just the place i am after. How long did all 4 wheels take in the end? Is it a drop off/pick up same day jobby?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast