Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Warming up / cooling down

Status
    Mentioned in
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)

Warming up / cooling down

Iv heard loads of people say you should always let your car warm up / cool down before and after "thrashing it".

Now I wouldnt say I "thrash" my VXR at all, but sometimes put my foot down a bit.

My question is, how long / many miles should you give it to warm up or cool down before putting your foot down?

Just wana look after my car, dont wana cause problems for it in later life for being stupid and not letting it warm up etc.

Cheers Dan

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what i do is wait till temp gauge gets to above 80 , am not saying a thrash my car but i wait till above 80 before i put my foot down.. to cool down a let the engine tick over for 1 minute after a jorney in which i put my foot down more than usual...or when a no am close to home a make sure i dont hit boost for 1 mile.. and then when get home just turn engine off...

Status
    North East RO
    Mentioned in
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Add Chewy. on Facebook
    What ever you do mate warm your car up by driving it not just leaving it to tick over as there have been threads on this before and seams to be bad if you do.

Status
    Mentioned in
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Aye anno, iv been driving it for like 2-3 miles before i put my foot down, and same for cooling down, nice driving (changing under 2000rpm) to cool down.

Aslong as thats alright im happy, like I said just dont wana damage the car in any way for future use.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wait till it gets to 80+ before i use heavy boost. and drive off boost as much as poss for last few miles, then leave to idle for a short time once stopped.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I read somewhere that leaving a zlet ticking over does not cool it down, if fact someone on here once said its better to just turn it off, not sure if thats right.

I always wait until the water temp gets roughly about normal then unleash the boost!!! Then drive carrefully for about 2-5mins before turning off, but I never leave it ticking over to cool down as you get heat soak/latent heat
    Red.Dot + Turbo Dynamics VXR Hybrid + TX AutoSport 63mm FMIC = One Huge Smile

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    give the car time to get upto temp 2miles to 5 miles for oil to get upto temp
    also bearings in the engine
    when you turn it off take it easy for a few mins an leave it for a min once parked up for oil to cool down the turbo

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah as above when mine gets above 80 I'll give it some

Leaving it to cool down on tick over is okay but for no more than a minute and not on your turbo timer if you have one, the auxillary water pump will work for about a minute once the car's turned off but if using a turbo timer it'll start for that minute as soon as you turn the ignition off so the turbo timer will be counteracting it as it'll be warming up on tick over while the pumps trying to cool everything down....

As above just drive it steady for the last 2 miles, if my gauge is at about 85 I'm happy to turn off as soon as I get back..
    FORMERLY WAVEYBLUEWATER

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    on my vts it had a oil gauge and i was supprised when i first had it how it long it took to warm up compaired to the car being up to temp took about 5miles before it was right at the time it was only about 2-3 miles to work shows why short runs in a car arnt good for it comparied to a good run 20miles to work in the bus so that gets a nice run shame its not a turbo lol.

like above give it 5 miles and shouldnt have any problems
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Reading here about warming up and cooling down, as in all vehicles the warming up is too get your oil circulated to all parts of the engine and in turbo cars to make sure the turbo gets its oil feed proplery before you boost your car..let it tick over for about one minute before driving off.. as for how long to let it run before switching off,, the idea of letting the car tick over before switching off , is only too let the turbo bearing cool down while running at a low spin....not the oil or the water that supplies engine or turbo cooling..turbo maker sites suggest between a half minute too a minute ticking over before switching off your engine..but this is only if you have used the turbo under load..but as a precaution state it is better to do it all the time so as to get use to doing it...this is also what the turbo timer does,, lets your car run for the amount of time you set it to cool your turbo bearings .... (you can switch off engine lock doors and walk away with out having to count 30/60 secs sitting there..(especially if your in a hurry)so while engine is running on turbo timer although oil and water temp may rise slighlty the turbo bearing is running at a slow spin cooling it in fact..its like going to the gym...think of your turbo bearing as your muscles..
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast