Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does milage play such a huge factor?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Does milage play such a huge factor?

Ill be buying a new Astra in around 2 months FINALLY.

My budget is £2k, but most of the cars I see for around that price are 100k+ miles. Is this such a huge problem?

Id LOVE to get one with around 60-80k but this seems to be so rare.

I got my last Astra for £1500 @ 80k miles.

If I were to get a 100k+ motor, what sort of impact would this have on the car? Anything I should look out for?
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My first astra was an X reg and it had 97k on the clock, the engine was gubbed. My second astra was given to me by a relative with 44k on the clock and also an X reg (2000) its so smooth, so i guess from my experience my previous car had been run into the ground indicated by the high mileage.
    IT Services for Glasgow, UK
    This is only here for google webmaster tools purposes.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its obviously covered 100k of miles be it motorway or harsh road conditions.
    People will say check service which i agree with but its all the other componenets also even down to interior switches seats etc etc
    Some cars go for ever with double that sort of mileage, its not an issue i dont think if you intend on keeping it and running it till it dies

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    When i got my car it was a 7yr old car covering 112k & i picked it up for £1.4k

Surely you can get one sub 100k if it bothers you greatly for that money?

Mine came with FSH & i was happy with the test drive. Took it to my local mechanic who gave it the thumbs up, so i bought it.

Only real wear i could see was exhaust (was planning on replacing anyway even if it was in ok condition), the drivers seat & gear stick gaiter

If it was a 112k with no history & such like i'd have been more cautious myself

Status
    couldn't care less!
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My misses is looking at 1.8 Coupes at the moment and for 2K there are a few to be found with sub 50k. Just keep a close eye out.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bought mine with 80+ but because i have a van for work doesnt bother me as i wont be covering so many miles in it, but check as above service history interior wear etc + check previous mots aswell

think its more to personal preference as front maybe more stone chipped etc and others cant bare to look at high mileage on theyre dash as if its some sort of disfunction

i work on vans with over 250000 miles theyre still going strong

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my parents octavia W reg 1.9TDI is coming up for 210k and still going strong.

and its still on its 1st clutch

sure it doesnt feel as tight as it 1st did but it still runs perfectly.

it depends want you want out of your car really....

if its just to get from a to b then milage shouldnt be a porblem as long as it runs well and has a history and everythings been done at the right time e tc etc
    if you want it to run as good as new and be a finely tuned pocket rocket then i think you would want to be looking at a engine rebuild
    iv always said to myself that if i was to buy and older car with high milage eg a capri or firenza etc the 1st thing i would do is have the engine out and rebuilt either by myself as an exercise in mechanics or by someone else who knew what they were doing
    i know the age range is massive from what your lookin at to a Mk1 capri but in my mind I would want the engine to be running at its best

at the end of the day cars are only worth as much as you want to pay for them.
    you can always barter them down a bit

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i brought my 53 plate with 98k on the clock but its a derv and been serviced regualy
    Mk4 ASTRA 1.7DTI Estate On 126K Miles Now 127k 11/10/2008 - - 129K 28/11/2008 - - 130k 04/01/2009 -- Now 138k 08/05/2009 Now 142k and a broken Diff -- 144K

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    cars that are looked after and serviced regulary will do maaaaaaaaaaaany miles, i've said it before, just because a car is over 100k miles doesnt mean its going to die at the first opportunity, just look after it and it will see u on fine, trust.

obv a fsh is the best on a high mileage car but u can see what conditikon its in just by test driving it and looking out for weird noises
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (135K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As the milage on the car gets higher, there is more risk that there will be problems, its not an exact science, some cars will lower milage may run into more problems than ones with higher milage, all depends how its been looked after, there are some people out there who dont look after their car and never service it etc, then there are others who service them and look after them because they know how important they are.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast