AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Looking at a 1.9 CDTi SRi (150)

Hi all,

Well I'm new on here, Josh from the Rhondda in South Wales, 18

Bascially it'll be a few months before I get (if I do get one) my Astra, I'll be 19 when I do with 1 years NCB and 3 points! I've had hypothetical quotes of £2100 for insurance which is high but I would be willling to pay if I could haggle down to below £1900

Anyway atm, I have a 1.4i C2 with some mods, nice car but low on power but it was my first car at 17 and couldn't get insurance on anything bigger

So anyway come September I really want an Astra 3 door 1.9 CDTi SRi 150 with the XP in red hopefully Had one as a company car for a week and fell in love! The torque on the hills in the Valleys was soooooo nice and just really like the car over all!

What I want to know is are ther any major reliability issues?

Also what sort of performance figures can you get out of them with remaps, intercoolers etc, I've heard a lot about the DTUK tuning boxes!
    I'd also want to do some exterior mods such as black wheels and lights and lowering, any problems forseeable??
    Finally what about exhaust systems? Can you get a diesel sounding really nice with say a new mainfold and straight through pipes?? And dare I ask about dump valves?

Sorry for the essay but any replies will be very appreciated! Thanks very much,

Josh

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi there i'm new to this myself and i have a red 1.9 cdti sri xp but mines a 5 door.

I cant tell you much about mods as mine is standard but the car overall is awesome. Its not the quickest car you can buy for the money but for a diesel and sport looks and mpg and the power it gives you it is overall a superb choice!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Easy get around 200bhp out of a DTUK box or remap.

Never get rid of the sound that it's a diesel, you can get better exhausts that give a deep whistle rather than a growl. Can get a decat downpipe but leave manifold alone.

You can ask about dumpvalves, but it's a pointless excercise for a silly noise!

Lowering is very easy, Eibach prolines take it down 30mm, sport lines lower by about 40-45

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive been warned off the tuning boxes but thats just a matter of personal opinion. I had mine mapped and shes now running at about 200hp and 330 torques via sports mode which im pretty impressed with!
    I also have the Eibach sportlines on and had no problems with them they look and feel good.
    I wouldnt bother with a dumpvalve to be honest, they sound good on scoobies but not on astra dervs! Again thats down to personal opinion

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the quick replies all...

Quote Originally Posted by SportStarSri View Post
    hi there i'm new to this myself and i have a red 1.9 cdti sri xp but mines a 5 door.

I cant tell you much about mods as mine is standard but the car overall is awesome. Its not the quickest car you can buy for the money but for a diesel and sport looks and mpg and the power it gives you it is overall a superb choice!!
    What are you thinking of when you say its not the quickest thing u can buy because I'm still open to suggestions for other cars atm, however I will only be 19 with 1 yrs NCB so insurance is a major factor, and I'll be looking to spend say £8K (ish) on the car!

I do agree its a good over performance/looks/economy tho!

Quote Originally Posted by Mixman View Post
    Easy get around 200bhp out of a DTUK box or remap.

Never get rid of the sound that it's a diesel, you can get better exhausts that give a deep whistle rather than a growl. Can get a decat downpipe but leave manifold alone.

You can ask about dumpvalves, but it's a pointless excercise for a silly noise!

Lowering is very easy, Eibach prolines take it down 30mm, sport lines lower by about 40-45
    Yeah I understand the diesel noise will always be there but if you can get a nice exhaust that will give some grunt when accelaerating I'll be very happy, don't want anything to loud or deep tones tho, would prefer a baffling raspy kinda sound but don't know if u can get that on a diesel? Also seen some simota induction kits whihc sound nice any video's of yours with the K+N or tips on how it sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Faye_SRi View Post
    Ive been warned off the tuning boxes but thats just a matter of personal opinion. I had mine mapped and shes now running at about 200hp and 330 torques via sports mode which im pretty impressed with!
    I also have the Eibach sportlines on and had no problems with them they look and feel good.
    I wouldnt bother with a dumpvalve to be honest, they sound good on scoobies but not on astra dervs! Again thats down to personal opinion
    Very impressed with your figures! Thats the kinda of figures I had in mind, like I say torque is very appealing to me! 40mm drop sounds good to me with the standard 18's! How much were ur springs if you dun mind me asking and did u need new shocks etc??

Dump valve was just out of curiosity tbh I did think it would be daft on a diesel but just wondering f any1 has done it??

Thanks again all!

Josh

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You won't get a deep sound out of the CDTi, the turbo deadens most of the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgLRWtzqgps

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    PM sent mate (sorry it's off topic though).

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mixman View Post
    You won't get a deep sound out of the CDTi, the turbo deadens most of the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgLRWtzqgps
    Sounds quite nice that cos I actually don't like the deep sounding exhausts!
    What's the preferred exhaust manafacturers to go for, I got a custom build Long Life on mine but I've always loved the straight through Powerflow systems, anyone had experience with them and a CDTi?
    I really like the sound of this too;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ucYNwGHl1mk

And the blow off noise with the gear change whatever that is?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Astra View Post
    PM sent mate (sorry it's off topic though).
    No probs mate, replied!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its an induction kit thats making the whoosh noise not so loud on this vid as i had an enclosed induction kit but its really loud with an open ended cone filter which ive just fitted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUC53i5VSyY

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astrasxicdti View Post
    its an induction kit thats making the whoosh noise not so loud on this vid as i had an enclosed induction kit but its really loud with an open ended cone filter which ive just fitted

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUC53i5VSyY
    Ah ryt I see, thanks mate! Really like the sound of that!

So is it a Simota style induction kit you've got with the wide mouth or a cone induction kit like a K+N?

I was going to ask about coilovers for the Astra, anyone here got them and a rough cost??

Also what's the difference between the tuning boxes and a remap, any different gains or advantages?

Thanks again all!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast