Thread: Non starting 99 1.8 sport

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Non starting 99 1.8 sport

hi there everybody , i apologise in advance if this is posted in the wrong place,
    my astra keeps cutting out when driving and will not start until it is cold, however that was until today,
    basically it cut out and would not restart and had to be recovered back home but as soon as it rolled off the recovery truck it started ,
    i have checked all connections and even tried the paperclip test but it is showing no error codes
    the strange thing is when i turn the ignition on i get no eml but i do get the coolant warning light and the fan on the rad comes on (even if its cold) and it will not start, if on the odd ocasion the eml does come on there is no coolant warning and the car will start .
    i tried for 3 hours earlier checking everything and when the car is not starting there is no fuel pressure and no spark, please help as this has me baffled
    my initial thoughts were crankshaft sensor but i really dont know

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Doubt its the crankshaft sensor as this wouldn't explain the lack of fuel pressure, if no spark only i would agree..

All in all, odd fault, i'd say most lilkely a ECU fault, or possibly a wiring fault somewhere, most likely the ECU.

I'd assume the engine is a X18XE, in which case locating a new ECU shouldn't be all that hard. Before spending your cash on one though i'd have others or a local mechanic look at it and verify my thoughts.

Good luck sorting it though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could it be that the temp sensor is telling the engine that its to hot and it is cutting out to prevent any damage from overheating?
    Mk4 3 door sxi

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by leeeeshad View Post
    could it be that the temp sensor is telling the engine that its to hot and it is cutting out to prevent any damage from overheating?
    i did think that but it says in the user manual it would go into limp home mode and still run and not prevent it from starting
    ?