Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Help with Overheating issue

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    SteJay's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Help with Overheating issue

    I was hoping someone could help me with my mk4 1.4 petrol Astra

    I got her sericed a few weeks ago including an oil change, timing belt and water pump. Before the service the temp gauge used never move at all, but since the service I noticed that every week or so it was getting higher and then today for the first time since I owned the car it went all the way up to 100. I pulled over and checked the coolant level which was empty and what was inside the bottle was browney coloured. The cap had to be eased off as it was full of steam. I then took it easyy out the road to the nearest garage outside which it was on 100 again so I bought a 1 litre bottle of anti-freeze which the car gobbled up within a mile journey, its now empty again. Would it be that I used the wrong type of oil for the service? I used Mobil 1 engine oil I think it was 10w30 or 10w40. Reall need the car for work etc and hope its not knackered!

  2. #2
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    how many miles does your header bottle need re filling?
    it is not knackered, could it be the head gasket going,
    how many miles has your car got on it?

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    SteJay's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Today was the 1st time I filled it and I bought it last feb, i thought the boys servicing it would of topped it up, how much should one take from empty to full?

  4. #4
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    over heating
    insufficient coolant in system(weekly checks)
    thermostat faulty
    radiator core blocked
    electric cooling fan or thermo switch faulty
    pressure cap faulty
    ignition timing incorrect/ignition system fault
    inaccurate temperature gauge sender unit
    airlock in cooling system

  5. #5
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteJay View Post
    Today was the 1st time I filled it and I bought it last feb, i thought the boys servicing it would of topped it up, how much should one take from empty to full?
    half a litre to a litre

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    SteJay's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdrightup View Post
    over heating
    insufficient coolant in system(weekly checks)
    thermostat faulty
    radiator core blocked
    electric cooling fan or thermo switch faulty
    pressure cap faulty
    ignition timing incorrect/ignition system fault
    inaccurate temperature gauge sender unit
    airlock in cooling system
    Thanks alot for your prompt replies, It was empty earlier and I put in a litre so should I try putting in more, and go from there?

  7. #7
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteJay View Post
    Thanks alot for your prompt replies, It was empty earlier and I put in a litre so should I try putting in more, and go from there?
    say it empties again?

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    SteJay's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    34
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fdrightup View Post
    say it empties again?
    It was on 100 or so then I put in a litre and it didnt even stay in the bottel the car swallowed it straight down so its back to where it was now which is just over empty

  9. #9
    fdrightup
    fdrightup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SteJay View Post
    It was on 100 or so then I put in a litre and it didnt even stay in the bottel the car swallowed it straight down so its back to where it was now which is just over empty
    try adding more coolant make sure you don't get a air lock in the system,
    my astra hold 6 litres of coolant

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    andrewdevlin86's Avatar
    AOC Lite Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    959
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    get a 2litre bottle of coolant from halfords. drain all the existing coolant from the system by removing the coolant filler cap and turning the tap at the bottom left hand side of the radiator (driver's side). Once it's empty, close the drain and add 2litres of water to the expansion tank, followed by the 2 litre bottle of antifreeze/coolant. Replace the cap and let the engine idle for about 10 mins or until it has reached normal operating temp, then switch engine off and leave to totally cool. Remove the filler cap again and top up with cold water to the mark (it will say kalt/cold). Thats fresh coolant in the system, and is a good idea since you have no way of knowing when it was last done. If it still overheats, it may point to a more serious problem that I'm sure one of the more technically minded on here can help you with!
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-03-2014, 15:18
  2. Z20LET overheating issue (Serious Problem)
    By mjwyborn in forum Turbo Petrol Engines inc. Transmissions
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-06-2011, 09:23
  3. Overheating
    By jwowdon in forum Astra Discussion & Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2011, 12:44

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •