Thread: Crashed The Astra :( Rebuild Help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Crashed The Astra :( Rebuild Help

Well unfortunately yesturday morning whilst on my way to a job interview a damn civic slammed on at the 1 second i was skipping tracks on my CD player and unfotunately i didnt stop in time and heres the damage:

Now i originally bought this car as a project and intended on doing so much with it and this is kind of a big set back. Now the garage wants to charge me 700 to rebuild my front end. I really don't want to pay that and i have basic knowledge on body work so i intend on giving the rebuild a go myself but i was really hoping you guys could help me out with some things now and along the way.

I think i can handle the basic stuff like the headlights, bonnet, bumper but when it comes to the others i need a little advice.

Slam Panel.
    Is this just a simple case of out with the old and in with the new or is this going to require welding?

Cross Member.
    Again Is this a simple case of unbolt old and rebolt new back on or is there more to it than that?

Radiator.
    Is this a simple job to replace? and could you gve me some advice on bleeding and reffiling.

Air Con Unit.
    Is this an essential part to the cars operation or can i do without this? I never use my air con but i was wondering if it's needed for the operation of the rad.

BTW the astra is a 1.6 LS, X Reg 2000.

Seriously any help you could give me on this i would really appreciate it.

Thanks
    Lew.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The cross member and slam pannel are weld in im afraid, everything else is straight froward, you can do away with the aircon if you like but it would be relatively easy for that to be fixed also as you can buy gas refils in places like Halfords

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mine looked about the same when i got rammed off the road. Radiator is easy to do just remove yours without decompressing the aircon rad. just unbolt and reattatch.

Crash bar is bolt on bolt off easy 2 mins to do

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the reply. Any ideas on welding points for the cross member and slam panel? Are they bolted on too? never really done any welding before so that's not my strongest point. just to double check on something the slam panel is where the bonnet catches into on top right? and the cross member is what the crash bar is bolted too? forgive me if i'm wrong.

But if i am right i'm not sure i do need a new cross member because there isn't really any bending or deform apart from the bonnet and crash bar.

Thanks
    Lew

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Slam panel may pull straight.
    Bumper reinforcer is a bolt job, very simple.
    Same for the bonnet.
    Bumper might be OK to refit, is it damaged, are the mounting points OK?
    Air con rad not required for car to run, but can be got cheap enough on ebay.
    Main rad, fit a pattern part one for around £50-60, maybe less.
    If the headlight mountings are broken Vaux does a bracket repair kit.
    Most expensive bit wll probably be the painting.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SQ Man View Post
    Slam panel may pull straight.
    Bumper reinforcer is a bolt job, very simple.
    Same for the bonnet.
    Bumper might be OK to refit, is it damaged, are the mounting points OK?
    Air con rad not required for car to run, but can be got cheap enough on ebay.
    Main rad, fit a pattern part one for around £50-60, maybe less.
    If the headlight mountings are broken Vaux does a bracket repair kit.
    Most expensive bit wll probably be the painting.
    I havn't had a good look at the car yet because it's still in the garage it was towed too but i'm assuming the only damage to the bonnet is the bend at the front, can't see how how the mounting points would be affected.

Whats the difference between the normal rad and air con rad? where is the air con rad located?

The headlights brackets are broke but i need new headlights anyway because the bulb holders are very corroded.

I'm hoping to find the bumper and possibly the bonnet on another white astra from a scrappy.

And Russo2k5, how do you mean by not decompressing the air con rad? is this connected to the main rad? and how do i make sure it dosent decompress.

I also need a new fan and cowl. does this bolt directly onto the rad?

Thanks for your help.
    Lew

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lockylew View Post
    I havn't had a good look at the car yet because it's still in the garage it was towed too but i'm assuming the only damage to the bonnet is the bend at the front, can't see how how the mounting points would be affected.
    Might be twisted, but looks like the hit was square on, so hopefully they should be fine

Whats the difference between the normal rad and air con rad? where is the air con rad located?
    Two seperate radiators, aircon one is fitted in front of the normal cooling rad.

The headlights brackets are broke but i need new headlights anyway because the bulb holders are very corroded.
    Have a good hunt through the classifieds & ebay then.

I'm hoping to find the bumper and possibly the bonnet on another white astra from a scrappy.
    Best of luck getting a colour match.

And Russo2k5, how do you mean by not decompressing the air con rad? is this connected to the main rad? and how do i make sure it dosent decompress.
    If you disconnect any of the pipes on the aircon rad you will loose any gas still in the system, as it is pressurised.

I also need a new fan and cowl. does this bolt directly onto the rad?
    Yes, just bolts i place.
    2003 Sapphire Black 3Dr DTi Astra
    Custom Irmscher kit, Interior Leather/Alcantara retrim & Alpine/Focal Install
    Install progress (----------)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right with what i can gather form those pictures i dont think you have knocked the chassis, which is good, saves a lot of pennys.

you will require as you know, bonnet ( for the time being you could just pull the damaged one back into chape, but it might not fit right, it will be trial and error), bumper, not sure about headlights. if the slam panel has been bent, you will need a new/ second hand one welding in, the slam panel just bolts on, simple job that.

Hope that helps, and more info needed chap, pm me.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok thanks for your help.

Stupid question this i know but where do i refill the radiator? through the tank or is there somewhere on the radiator to pour it directly in.

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just fill it up through the expansion tank, just remember to do it slowly so you dont get pockets of air into the radiator, because that will make thew radiator kick out hot air, when you have turned the settings inside the car to cold.

Hope that helps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast