Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Friday 22nd May, not my best day ever.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Friday 22nd May, not my best day ever.

Ok, as a few may have noticed, Ive not been about or posting much over the last month or so. This is down to being away a lot for work on courses. So far Ive been down to Griffin house at Luton 3 times, Bristol twice & Newcastle.

In doing all this Ive clocked up just over 5,000mile in the last month or so. Because its all work related, I havent been using my own car, instead Ive been using one of our sales fleet, this 56 plate 1.8 Vectra Exclusiv (granted not the most exciting car in the world, but chews motorway miles without much of a complaint):

Now, I was down at Luton agin on Friday, had a nice drive down Thursday night, course finished at 3:50pm Friday, and forgetting it was a bank holiday prepared for a slow drive home.
    Left Luton a little after 4pm and started heading up the M1. As suspected the traffic was a little heavy, although it wasnt affecting my projected arrival home time so all was good.

This was until just before Watford Gap services when this happened:

Basically was in the outside lane behind a BMW 3 Series, the BMW braked hard, having left a bit of distance I had plenty time to do the same, we were slowed to around 30mph, lifted off braking looked in the rear view mirror just intime to see the front end of a KIA Ceed come battling towards me at around 70-80mph, this impacted on the rear of the Vectra sending the Vectra into the rear of the BMW. I tried turning the wheel of the Vectra in the hope that it would miss the BMW but the force of the impact was too great, next thing I know the airbags are deploying and the car eventually stoped moving. Fair play to the Vectra, it took the impact well and all the taken for granted safety features worked as they should have, so hats of to Mr Vauxhall for that one.
    Jumped out the car and despite a fury of rage managed not to rip the KIA driver from his seat and gave the central reservation a hit instead.
    From there I called 999 and from there on in was amazed at the piss poor repsonse, despite pointing out it was a 3 car pile up on the outside lane of the M1 in busy traffic.

Traffic Patrol - they arrived somewhere around 30minutes after the emergency call was made, by this time we had managed to push the KIA and the Vectra onto the hard shoulder, the BMW was able to drive over.
    Although being a couple of nice guys they were of little use. They cant call for recovery services, instead they have to call their control, who then call the police, who then call the recovery services. Meantime the KIA driver called Enterprise (his was a hire car) and 30mintues later they had the RAC recover their own vehicle off the road. Leaving myself and the Traffic patrol on the hard shoulder, their main concern seemed to be who would pay for the recovery, where upon I politely told them "I dont give a **** who pays for it, just get it lifted".
    Eventually an hour after arriving they then decided to tow the Vectra into Watford Gap services.
    Here 1hour 45 minutes after the 999 call the Traffic Police eventualy turned up (despite being based 10minutes from the accident).

Traffic Police - what a complete and utter waste of oxygen this pair were. No statements were taken, no-one was breathalysed, no details were taken bar checking the details that we had given each other i.e. exchange of insurance details, no document produceres were given, and infact the never even spoke to the KIA driver ho by this time was sitting in his replacment hire car and promptly ****ed off.
    Again their only concern was who was paying for the uplift of the vehicle, again pointing out I dont really care I was then given 3 options,1 get the car recovered and I could stay at the services, 2 they may be able to get the recovery driver to drop me somewhere along his route back to his yard at Northampton or 3 if I paid £1200 upfront myself and the car would be recovered back to Edinburgh.
    I then pointed out after the severity of the accident I was in no state to sit in a lorry for nigh on 10hours besides really needing to go to A&E to have the increasing pains looked at. (I was actually worried Id broken a rib or 2 it was hurting as much) I then asked them if they could take me to A&E, where I was then told "its not our responsibility". Now call me fussy, but when someone 300miles from home is involved in a heavy accident should it not be the job of the Emergency services too look after them? *****. The ba$tards then ****ed off leaving me by myself in the services with a ****** car and being told to wait on recovery

Recovery driver - 2hours 10mintues after the initial 999 call the company eventually got the call to uplift the car by the Police. 20minutes later and Barry the lorry driver was there. What can I say awesome guy. Lifted the car then asked where I wanted to go. Knowing that Billing wasnt far away I asked if he could drop me at the Marriott near by. He said it wasnt on the way to his yard, but as he doesnt like his boss it was no bother. He then promptly dropped me right at the door of the Marriott, awesome and was very much appreciated.

Mariott - very helpful staff, despite stumbling in looking like and Afgahn refugee, although she was slightly puzzled where after checking me in and asking if there was anything else she could help me with I replied with "a taxi to A&E", apparently not a common request.

Northampton General A&E - very nice place to spend 2 hours, werent too many crazys hanging around and I was looked at pretty swiftly. Thankfully no broken bones, lot of bruising & pulled muscles but not too bad.

I was then left in Northampton with no car and no way home. Thankfully a few phone calls with a few offers of mates coming down to scoop me up, my mate Colin managed to get me booked on the 10.55am East Midlands to Edinburgh flight. So a £65 taxi ride later I was at East of Midlands and on my way home. Now my big grip with PC usless ******* is I was lucky enough to have money & access to money down there what if I hadnt??? in all between Taxi;s, hotel rooms airplanes etc. it cost me near on £400 to get home, what if I didnt?

Anyway end of rant, Im home now and have the joyous task of dealing with insurance companies next week.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not nice mate and it's good to see you're in one piece (judging by the airbags and crumple zones)

I would agree with your analysis of the detritus we call the police force.

What was the result of your A&E visit?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oooh not good matey. did the traffic wombles not turn up either? glad you are home safe though dude. surely your insurance should of got you a courtesey car delivered to you so you can get home?

but tbh thats all unimportant. aslong as your ok is the main thing.
    Castle Combe Saloon Car Championship. Car 21, pug 106 GTI. Gone from track days to full on racing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    jesus christ mate. thats appalling level of service by the emergency services, especially as it looks rather bad as well.

At least your home, and there were not more severe casulties, albeit your financially worse off but alive at the end of the day/

Did A&E find anythink wrong and how are you holding up?

Vectra looks to have stood up well.

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The main thing is that yourself and the other drivers & occupants are ok, including the idiot in the Ceed.
    Fastest, Most Powerful & Only Mag Featured Astra In The AOC Cumbrian Region

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter
    Sorry to hear that Dave, not a good day at all

Glad you are here to tell the tale, it could have been alot worse than it was.

Status
    Turbo Jizz Golfer !
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry to hear it Dave, what a day

Good to hear no major injuries though.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies.

A&E - thankfully nothing broken, bruised around my ribs, and pretty much every muscles from the shoulders up is either bruised or pulled do to the force of basically 2 lots of whiplash.

Traffic wombles????

Re: the insurance getting a courtesy car, it as a possibility although slightly more complicated being company insurance. But I really didnt think driving home was a great idea due to the amount of shock I was in (was close to passing out at one point), and was bourne out as a good idea when I took one of the Vectras for a drive this afternoon as tbh it took me a good few hours on local roads to just get comfortable driving again.

p.s. Domino - take it you were having a play with the guy in the yellow Seat on the bridge

astrcolli - yip fair play to the car, I was nearly driving a Corsa instead of this wouldnt have liked to have seen the results of that, fair play to the car it done its job (what you cant see int he pictures is the engine is snapped of it mounts and is now located squeezed to the bulk head).

One lucky thing though that I never thought about was my Tom Tom location, luckily it was located in teh middle of the windscreen, and inch either way and it would have been hit with the airbags.

Its also worth pointing out that this chain of events started by the BMW driving having to brake by a dickhead in a gay coloured metro strolling from the middle to outside lane whilst texting on his mobile!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there good strong cars, i went down A34 a while ago and one had hit a horse at 80ish, car was trashed but the woman walked away unhurt.

At least your still here mate!

Vectra SRi 1.9 CDTi (150).
    Tinted Windows, Richbrook Gear Knob & Tax Disc Holder.
    Flip down sunglasses Holder.
    6000K HID's, Chilled Glovebox, CD70 Navi, Debadged, Samco Hoses.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    That looks bad Dave, glad you are ok though, especially given the extensive damage to the Vectra.

And my god what a useless bunch of twunts the cops were, leaving you out on your ar5e and to potentially drive home in a clearly unfit state.

Hope you recover soon too
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast