Thread: Anyone here know much about income tax?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Anyone here know much about income tax?

Right so from last year April-October I was working in a restaurant. My weekly income was something like 100quid.

I was also a student in college, so because of my low wage I should of been getting no tax deducted. I still did and got over 500quid taken off me.

Now when I switched jobs, I gave my P45 in and they said I would get a refund on the money, never did.

I'm now in another new job and they need my P45, Ive requested this but don't know how long it will be till I get it through, till then I assume ill be on emergency tax.

This is crazy, as it is with normal tax Id only earn 14k of my 17.5k wage.

Whats the best way to resolve this? I need that tax refunded and I need to get back on a proper tax % as I cant afford to work so many hours and earn **** all.

Cheers,

Steve
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Go direct to the tax office (phone them), it may be based in another town depending on employer. (most can tell you which one and phone number)
    I had a similar issue which took months to sort with my employers.
    Spoke to the tax office and got it sorted instantly, next pay had the rebate in it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've had a bit of trouble recently with job loss etc and found loads of info on the internet..... Heres some links:-

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/rates/it.htm

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTax...gTax/index.htm

Hope these help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It doesn't matter if you were a student or not mate if you earn more than your personal allowance you will get taxed.

17.5k - 6345(personal allowance) = 11155

of this 11155, 2250 is taxed at 10% = 225

then 8905 will be taxed at 20% = 1745

So roughly you should have paid around 1970 in tax or around the 2,000 mark.

It also depends on what tax code your on. If your on a Week 1 or month 1 basis and only in 1 job you will have overpaid by a lot.

If you have 2 jobs in 1 tax year you should have been on BR on the lower income job.

HTH
    PSN: Stan-H-
    My Autobiography

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    P38S Student Employees

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try this website mate:
    http://www.listentotaxman.com/

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fill in a P46 with your new employer. You don't need your P45 because you left your last job before the start of this tax year. The P46 confirms that this is your first job in this tax year.

With regards to the refund, call the tax office and speak to them. They will give you an address to send proof of earnings, if they need them. If not (i.e. they can see your info on the computer already), they'll send you out a cheque.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Ford Transit Custom by day :-( Astra XP by night :-)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by StanCoupe1.8 View Post
    It doesn't matter if you were a student or not mate if you earn more than your personal allowance you will get taxed.

17.5k - 6345(personal allowance) = 11155

of this 11155, 2250 is taxed at 10% = 225

then 8905 will be taxed at 20% = 1745

So roughly you should have paid around 1970 in tax or around the 2,000 mark.

It also depends on what tax code your on. If your on a Week 1 or month 1 basis and only in 1 job you will have overpaid by a lot.

If you have 2 jobs in 1 tax year you should have been on BR on the lower income job.

HTH

The lower tax bracket doesn't exist anymore, straight in at 20%. Your personal allowance varies from person to person. I can earn nearly a £1000 more before tax then my o/h can (don't know why).

And my o/h has two jobs, her job which pay's the most is based on her personal alowance and her other job is fully taxed on anything she earns.
    Astra MK5 1.8 SRi XP

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gavatron View Post
    The lower tax bracket doesn't exist anymore, straight in at 20%. Your personal allowance varies from person to person. I can earn nearly a £1000 more before tax then my o/h can (don't know why).

And my o/h has two jobs, her job which pay's the most is based on her personal alowance and her other job is fully taxed on anything she earns.
    The new tax brackets apply for 09/10( the taxyear were in now) and not 08/09 so you will have paid on tax on the 10% and 22%.
    PSN: Stan-H-
    My Autobiography