Thread: High temp in traffic, no water/coolant leaks

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

High temp in traffic, no water/coolant leaks

I have an N reg Astra ('95 I think), which I have owned for about a year. It's been a fab car and I am very fond of it.

It has recently developed the habit of reaching a very high temperature while sitting in traffic. By high, I mean it gets up to 100 (but not past it). As soon as I'm on the move, it drops.

The water and coolant levels are fine and I don't have to top them up all that often (every few months).

I took it to a garage and they've told me it is a head gasket problem, which is expensive to fix.

So I was basically after some advice (or reassurance!). Is it worth getting another opinion?

Is it worth getting fixed, or should I trade in and get a newer model?

Am I in danger of actually overheating? If it does overheat, what exactly happens?

This is my first ever car (even though I am the wrong side of 30!) and I absolutely love it - will def stick with Vauxhall in the future!

Thanks
    A

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    When you're sitting in traffic and the temperature gets high, can you hear the fan kicking in?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The repairman said it kicks in when it gets to 100, but to be honest, I can't really tell myself.

He also said to try turning the heat on when it does start getting high - but I don't know why that would help?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah once it starts creeping up blast the blowers on hot and u should dissipate some of the engine heat - its an old trick and something ive always done and always will

sounds to me like a dodgy thermostat - should open at 92*

if theres no oil and water contamination then its not the HG unless its very early stages - u could have a compression test done by a garage to determine if it is HGF but id put it down to a dodgy thermostate personally

i could *and very well may be* wrong

some more opinions would be welcome me thinks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    new stat and make sure fans kick in and when cambelt last done and inc waterpump?
    1.8 16v 99 T plate.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for your replies - sounds like I need to ask some more questions at the garage.

I have no idea when cambelt was done, as I've only had it a year. When I last had it serviced, the mechanic said he would like to do it next time I bring it in, as he reckons it's about due.

No idea about waterpump either.

I'll def ask for the compression test. I just got the feeling that they were suggesting an expensive repair procedure because they know that I wouldn't any better.

Thanks again for your replies
    A

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I agree with Geordiebandit, the thermostat should kick in at around 92, some cars may be a few deg more or less than this though.

A good way to test this is to start the engine, then feel the top radiator hose (this will be at the front of the engine, running fron the top drivers side of the rad into the engine).

It should remain cold for about 3 to 5 mins, and then suddenly get very hot. When it does get hot, chack your temp guage in the car. If it reads approximately 92ish, there or thereabouts, then its not the thermostat.

If the hose doesnt get hot or them temp gos way up high before it does, its the thermostat thats bu99ered. Not expensive or hard to replace

I'd get the cambelt and waterpump changed too, if in doubt, change it out and all that.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I