Thread: british gas blue

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

british gas blue

as anyone who has seen my 'glasier white' astra van will tell you it has a feint tint of blue to it lol
    ok so the engine bay and tailgate shut are white but the rest of the van is british gas blue, a guy at vauxhall said that they sprayed the vans for BG but used paint supplied by BG so vaux wouldnt be able to provide a colour match or paint combination he was also pretty sure BG wouldnt be any help either.

i need a new front bumper as mine has some nice deep scoring from its previous owner and the tailgate is dented and rusty,

i was hoping to replace the bumper and colour match the skirts, strips and rear bumper and replace the tailgate

i'd rather not spend mega penies at a paintshop (i may have to for a good job on the tailgate) and i've painted bumpers from cans before with good results but without paint to do it i'm kinda stuck

anywhere in the surrey hants area that can colour match in rattle cans??
    thanks
    Wil

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    now i'm really confused, i was looking on Fleabay for gubbins and found a vauxhall british gas blue touch up paint?! so i looked up paint codes on the forum and found
    682/18L,37U: British Gas Dark Blue, Aircraft Blue (99-)
    i cant remember my paint code but is was defo glasi white,
    why would vaux have a paint code and not use it on the sticker in my door shut??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    having used a halfords touch up pen it is the right colour but a smidge too dark if you look really hard, oh well close enough

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    take your fuel filler cap or something to halfords and they will match it. its probly darker as its fresh paint and the rest of the car has fadded so if you just had certain parts sprayed you would need to cut the rest back to match

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You thought that the van was white when made and then it was resprayed to the British gas colour? as it is a different colour under the bonnet etc

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i work for bg so sure i can find the touch up pen in the van and get you some numbers or something give me a pm mate.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    after the bump strips have dried i can see the real problem, drivers side is a smidge dark which i would expect as the paint is 9 years old on the van.... but...
    its much darker than on the left flank!! the whole left side of the van was never sprayed properly, probs 2 or 3 coats of blue which is making it a little lighter than it should be.
    looking at a few of the light scratches on the side and stone chips on the bonnet o dont know if theres enough paint to cut it lol

oh well its not majorly noticable, and the van is only a work van... with 221k on the clock so maybes i'm beeing overly picky with the results, thanks for the help though guys

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

as you can see the drivers side is fine, with a quick go over with my mop jobs a good un,

but the pasengers side is much lighter,
    i did a quick spot to check directly on the paint to show its darker (i'm not mad, if you dont prep or key the panel the paint wont stick and comes off with a cloth and some t-cut)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone got any advice about the front bumper
    there are a few scrapes that i'm going to sand out and there are 2 different colour blues on it, the top coat is too light a blue
    the middle layer is the right BG blue
    and the bottom layer is white lol
    you can see all three where the paint is cracking off on corners and where neather blue has bonded well.

my plan is to use a palm sander on all the corners, remove the scrapes then plastic prime, then build prime, then 4+ coats of BG blue and a couple of clear coat

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would suggest putting a towel and sand paper in a bucket for a few minutes. Wipe the bumber with the wet towel and then start to sand. The water will give you a better finishe and you will not have to breath in all the dangerous material.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast