Thread: wheel idea.... whatchoo think?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

wheel idea.... whatchoo think?

Got standard vauxhall wheels that came on the 1998 LS astra, the ones with the small holes around the perimeter. Every other time I've seen them, they are black and therefore the owner can put silver trims on and it looks ok. But mine are silver, so silver trims look garbage.

Would like alloys, but got a wedding to save for, and apart from the intial outlay, theres the extra cost on insurance (the mrs wont have not letting them know!)

So anyway, what I thought is to remove the trims I have on now, sand the wheels down so they look almost perfect, then paint them a glossy black, cake them in lacquer and put new vauxhall centre caps on.

I can picture it in my head, and assuming I take my time with the paint job, I think it will look pretty smart. Whats everybodys opinion on this idea? Surely it cant look that bad! And as long as it's done properly, I think I can avoid crossing the border into Tackyland!
    2000 1.8 CDX money guzzler a.k.a Bessie

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    nobody any thoughts on this one?

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    pic of wheels in question would be of help

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    only going to remove the trims that are on currently at weekend so will get pic and bump it up then...

...silly me!

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    scrap my last post, they are the wheels on this picture that I stole from google images...

http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...1-ae22ec23.jpg

but the ones I have are silver...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like a great idea mate! and believe me, I know how tight things get when your saving for a wedding, (having just got married last October), and not to mention having to deal with this crappy recession as well, I feel for ya. With regards to the wheels though, I had a classic mini which had standard steel rims on, I painted them white (crazy I know, but they did look good). I did have to re spray them every so often even though they were lacquered (I think this is why they should be powder coated). However, if your putting hub caps on then this should protect them a bit, just make sure that the rims are properly sanded prepped, to make sure the paint gives good adhesion.

Go for it!!! what have you got to lose with steel rims. you could probably pick one up from the scrappy to practice on for virtually nothing.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why not pop standard vauxhall alloys on and just say they are part of the car??

Post some pics up when they done so we can see what they look like Sounds a good idea

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Don't you worry, the pics will be on as soon as I've done. I would try and get standard alloys but there is a list of what items are standard on different astra models. On my LS, alloys is not on this list, and I wouldn't want to take the chance with insurers, I reckon they would shaft me at any chance they could. Anyway, I'm sick of looking at silver wheels and think that seeing as the car is dark anyway and all the exterior plastics are deep black (just done them) they will fit in just fine

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like a good idea m8 and something different steel wheels seem to be cool again these days lol look at a 106 Rallye their steelies look better than alloys people stick on lol

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right people, done and dusted. Pic of wheels here http://s612.photobucket.com/albums/t...ent=163027.jpg
    or follow the link in my sig, I'm really unsure on these, I like the black bit but those centre caps look far too bright IMO, don't wanna remove them but don't know whether it might be too much painted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast