Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Unhappy Not A Good Start To Z20LET Onwership

Hi Guys,

Went with a friend on Saturday to buy a MK4 GSI and yesterday went to pay for the car and pick it up.

On the test drive on Saturday the car drove fine, Pulled very well, no hesitations, no flat spots, no warning lights, no strange noises.
    Yesterday the car started off fine and then about 25miles down the road it cut out and started driving like a pig,

Struggling to idle, coolant warning light was on, as was the engine management light, the car was down on power and making a strange noise from the exhaust, (a sort of chugging/faint burble) the engine was running very rough and vibrating violently in its mounts.
    We left it to cool for a bit and then continued home, it ran fine again for a couple of miles but then did the same.
    The TC and ABS light also came on and the speedo kept dying – although this isn’t that worrying as its more then likely just the wheel sensor that needs replacing.

When we got the car home I checked all the plugs and they were fine then read the codes and got the following (using the pedal method):

1106 – MAP sensors
    0500 – speed sender unit – related to the ABS and speedo so no big surprise here
    0509 – ICV High voltage
    0160 – O2 sensor related
    0136 - O2 sensor related
    0130 - O2 sensor related
    And 0179 – Fuel trim malfunction

I believe that my descriptions are correct but would appreciate it if someone could confirm.

How many of these codes are related?
    I’ve had a good read up on the 1106 error code and it seems very common on the Z20LET but the fixes required seems very varied from a simple earth lead to a new turbo. Anything we can check to help narrow down the cause?

The previous owner has said that the BCS was replaced a few months ago as that failed and was causing a few issues so guess that can be ruled out????
    I’ve checked all the hoses around the turbo and nothing seems to be loose.

The engine is 100% standard with 58K miles.

Any help would be really appreciated as it’s the guys new car and his introduction to Z20LET ownership hasn’t exactly been a great one.

Regards

Chris

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Try lending some ones coil pack,

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would clear the fault codes by leaving battery disconnected for 30mins, then take it for a drive again.

Some of those codes could be old ones and have been stored on there for ages.

Status
    Ex-Astra Owner
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You got rid of the scooby then?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redhotpanther View Post
    You got rid of the scooby then?
    its his friends by the looks of things .

i dont think i would swap his scooby
    Hey Dick,whats in for the Big Brain Quiz tonight? Certainly Gents, thats 200 quid. WHAT! each! DOUBLE WHAT! Thats abit steep isnt it...? steep...its f-ing verticle!

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not my car its a friends....i've still got the subaru.

I will try reseting codes but not sure what thats going to tell us as the car deffinatly has a fault so i would expect them to re-appear.

My mate has also been speaking to his local mechanic who has said he will have a look at it tomorrow for him.

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by A5TRA 59ORT View Post
    I will try reseting codes but not sure what thats going to tell us as the car deffinatly has a fault so i would expect them to re-appear.
    Because maybe only one or two would reappear? All them codes may be relevant and reappear, or some maybe 6/12/18 months old and now be totally unrelated to the problem you are trying to fix.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Because maybe only one or two would reappear? All them codes may be relevant and reappear, or some maybe 6/12/18 months old and now be totally unrelated to the problem you are trying to fix.
    ok, didn't realise it stored them for that long.

I will see if we can get the battery disconnected and the codes re-set

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Chirs - just unplug the 2 ECU plugs for half hour - saves messing about with radio codes and powersounder etc

my suspicion is that it could just be the AFM or just an earthing issue as sometimes the AFM triggers O2 faults etc

Definitely reset the codes then take it from there

Ive always found that cleaning the O2 sensor tips in petrol and the elec plug end with wd40 seems to help but others seem to think otherwise - its another avenue to go down anyway

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you know if the car had its turbo replaced around the 40k mark,just wondering as i have heard similar stories and it has turned out to be the turbo on its way out.Did the gsi have any flatspots at all just before it happened or any white smoke coming from the back of the exhaust?

Just a thought anyway mate.Let us know how you get on!
    Silver mk4 gsi turbo,airbox mod,veccy c pipe,s/s boostipe,k&n,ngk iridium plugs,cat back exhaust and ready for remap

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast