Thread: astra power steering problems

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra power steering problems

Hi i have an astra estate 1998 1.6 8v petrol.

i have been told its got electric power streering which seems to work when it wants to at the moment.

The power steering never fails on me when driving but if you turn the car off then it will just stop working, you could then leave the car for a few hours or a day and it will work again.

I am just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what it might be will i need a new pump or a friend of mine was saying about a relay if there is one for the power steering.

I did read some where about putting a wire straight from the battery to the pump, does this actually work and is it hard to do.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wouldnt recomend taking a lead straingth from the battery when you turn your ignition off the power steering turns itself off it sounds like it could be a replay problem or you may have a faulty connection at the pump or the pump itself

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    make sure its got the right amount of fluid first, then test the alternator.

the relay is contained inside the pump, so to change the relay you'd have to pull it all apart.

it does sound like a faulty relay, but as its contained in the pump most people would replace the whole pump, which is tough because of its position.

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My first port of call would be getting an alternator test first, go down to halfords and they do a test for free, they test it under load and under no load, a good healthy alternator should be anything from 13.0v to 14.4v really
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had a friend check some voltage stuff on the car which was all reading 14.4

i don't think it would be the alternator as the car has been like this a few weeks now and it doesn't have any problems starting

if i had to replace the pump does anyone know what this will roughly cost me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that age of car will almost definitely have the known to be troublesome TRW Generation 1 pump

My car originally had this pump and i replaced it 3 times

you could risk a 2nd hand one but its more than likely fecked as these pumps stopped production in approx 2000

replaced by the reliable Generation 2 system which is still used in the Mk5 (albeit a slightly reworked model)

Some models used the Delphi pump but this was mainly used on Diesel models from 2000 onwards

If you have the Gen1 pump it will have a slim round reservoir and a ribbed metal body

will look like this

Your best bet is to either get a new or reconditioned unit.

These are still available if you are prepared to look but will cost in the region of £200-250 but will come with upto a 3yr warranty and are on an exchange basis

You could however fit a later Gen2 pump but you will need an adaptor kit to fit this onto your Gen1 steering rack - one of the reconditioners will supply this kit with the Gen2 pump so might be the best route to go down.

The main thing you need to consider is how long you plan on keeping the car?

If its not long and you aint bothered about the long warranty offered on the above units then u may wish to settle for a used example

Heres an example: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-MK4-ELECTRONIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP_W0QQitemZ390051322075QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item390051322075 &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|6 5%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50# ebayphotohosting

Luckily you have the X16SZR engine (which is what i originally had in mine) in this instance its the best engine to have as its the smallest dimensions wise so lifting the pump out through the engine bay is a doddle.

remove one of the hose clips going into the pump, allow the fluid to drain or whack a bung in the pipe. access the bracketry thru the passenger wheel arch and remove the nuts where the pump attaches to the bracketry (which in turn attaches it to the steering rack) - leave the bracket insitu and just lift the pump out thru the top. it'll be a tight squeeze but far better than removing the subframe and out thru the bottom which would take about 4hours+

trace the cables up into the bay, one will go to an earth point on the passenger wing next to the strut top, the power will go to the fuse box - you need to pinch the coloured plastic housing iirc and withdraw the fuse and harness upwards free of the fuse box.

some members reported that by replacing the wiring looms in the pump helps - theres only 3 wires iirc so defo worth a shot.....

As i mentioned earlier about fitting a later pump to your earlier rack heres the link in question:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP-VAUXHALL-ASTRA-ZAFIRA-TRW_W0QQitemZ250339851261QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Car sParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item250339851261& _trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|65 %3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

The listing says the adaptor kit is available seperately so what i would do is probably source this kit from them, but source a Gen2 pump from another source so ur only paying about £50 for a pump as opposed to £250 for a recon unit.....

used example of Gen2 unit: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-ASTRA-MK4-ELECTRIC-POWER-STEERING-PUMP_W0QQitemZ400049963689QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Ca rsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item400049963689 &_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1683|66%3A2|6 5%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

HTH and its not too confusing!!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thats a great help a friend of mine is going to help me fix it ourselves.

do you think i will need the haynes manual for the car or should be alright with out as he is pretty handy with fixing cars

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have exactly the same problem. Tecnicians told me it is the pump, but at 500€ for a rebuilt unit I was lookning for a second opinion :P

Does anyone know what was the problem on the TRW pump? Can it be fixed even if temporarly?

Thanks!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know of some that were fixed by replacing the wiring harness that runs from the pump itself up to the fuse box and earth point on the wing.

No specific harness is required - just remove the pump then the rubber cover over the wiring connector on the pump to reveal the connections and replace with new wiring.

I cant vouch for this though, all I know is that Ive heard a couple of examples where this remedied the failure - most situations have required a new/refurbed/used pump. No idea specifically what the actual reason for failure is though.

Whereabouts in the world are you based? Have you considered a used example?

The later Gen2 pump will actually work but will not fit the steering rack straight away, you will need to adapt the bracket for it to fit...........alternatively maybe a complete rack and pump from a later model with the Gen2 and swap the entire lot over.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think I'll try to replace the wiring then.
    I'm in portugal, and i've found used working pumps on ebay for a very reasonable price (though they might just stop working again...)

By the way, I noticed that on warmer day's (30ºC or 86ºF) the car almost never fails... I think atmospheric moisture has something to do with this too.

Thanks for the reply!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast