Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: new here.. what should i do first? :)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile new here.. what should i do first? :)

hey all this is my 'first' proper post here..

well, on sunday (10/05/09), i took the plunge and bought myself a 2.0 SRi (86k on clock - 99 plate)

of course i am delighted with it, (although im not driving it till after i pass my test on 9th june ) , but was wondering what i could do to make it look even better..

i have already purchased a debadged original Irmscher black grille, and need to buy a shiny 'new' O/S clear headlight, as the one currently is the original, while the passenger side has been replaced so it looks slightly odd if you really look at it.

ive been toying with the idea or tinting the windows although disuaded from going dark at the back due to the silver of the car.. so might go for light smoke at back.. any suggestions?

id like to add an airfilter to increase mpg and performance, and i also need suggestions as to other mods i can do to it both externally, internally and within the engine!

any help would be GREATFULLY appreciated

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Nice car, rear window looks tinted already?

I think bumpstrips + handle should be colour coded first. Always look better sprayed on a silver car, and look bad when they are faded.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Nice car, rear window looks tinted already?

I think bumpstrips + handle should be colour coded first. Always look better sprayed on a silver car, and look bad when they are faded.
    hmm i dont know.. it might be my iphone doing funny things.. the left hand side of the pic is blurry and the right isnt lol :S ill check it out though! (i dont have the car here as it is away getting its mot; passed - and full servicing, vallet, the works..)

how do i colour code these? sorry im really new to cars

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Probably best taking it to a bodyshop and letting them do it.

But if you feel confident you could rub them down your self and buy some rattle cans.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Probably best taking it to a bodyshop and letting them do it.

But if you feel confident you could rub them down your self and buy some rattle cans.
    any ideas on the average price of a paint jobby? any example pics?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how do i colour code these? sorry im really new to cars
    Simples.....

I'd lower it first though........

To colour code trim and handles, you'll need to remove the interior door panels and rear quarters to gain access to the fixings......
    Once removed, prepare/clean the surface and proceed to paint with the colour match of your car which would appear to be Star silver 2 (only available as a genuine GM colour)

Once dry, refitting is a reversal of removal....

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davee View Post
    Simples.....

I'd lower it first though........

To colour code trim and handles, you'll need to remove the interior door panels and rear quarters to gain access to the fixings......
    Once removed, prepare/clean the surface and proceed to paint with the colour match of your car which would appear to be Star silver 2 (only available as a genuine GM colour)

Once dry, refitting is a reversal of removal....
    is there a manual or something about removing the inside trim? i dont want to destroy it

as far as lowering goes, i live in london.. with lots of speed bumps of various shapes and sizes, and am worried about carving a gaping hole out of the bottom of the car and flintstoning it back home lol. what do you recommend for lowering? springs? coilovers? any recommendations for makes/qualities? i am interested in coilovers.. how hard is the ride compared with the standard mk4 suspension? are they ok for long distance journies?

thanks for the help so far guys, im only just starting out so have a long way to go!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by juLZ007 View Post
    is there a manual or something about removing the inside trim? i dont want to destroy it

as far as lowering goes, i live in london.. with lots of speed bumps of various shapes and sizes, and am worried about carving a gaping hole out of the bottom of the car and flintstoning it back home lol. what do you recommend for lowering? springs? coilovers? any recommendations for makes/qualities? i am interested in coilovers.. how hard is the ride compared with the standard mk4 suspension? are they ok for long distance journies?

thanks for the help so far guys, im only just starting out so have a long way to go!!
    I have raceland coilovers fitted to mine, the handling is excellent and the ride is still comfortable.... read through some of the older threads on here....most of the information you'll ever need including How to's are on the site....

As for workshop manuals, theres loads of the Haynes variety very cheap on ebay or alternatively get hold of a copy of TIS 2000

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Davee View Post
    I have raceland coilovers fitted to mine, the handling is excellent and the ride is still comfortable.... read through some of the older threads on here....most of the information you'll ever need including How to's are on the site....

As for workshop manuals, theres loads of the Haynes variety very cheap on ebay or alternatively get hold of a copy of TIS 2000
    just been reading up on the racelands.. was wondering what the catch was with them being so cheap.. theyre up to 4times cheaper than some others!! any down sides? do they not last as long or something? (which is another question.. how long do coilovers last?)

also, would a 30mm drop be ok? i dont think id feel comfortable going over humps with anything more lol

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, welcome to AOC! Nice car, loads you can do just browse some garages and look at some on here or better still get yourself a ticket for PVS and come and have a look at some cars! Jx

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast