Thread: Emission & Traction control lights are permanently lit

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Emission & Traction control lights are permanently lit

My partners car is a Astra 2004 MK4 1.8 Litre Automatic Z18XE with 35,000 kms. The fault is intermittent but the symptoms are Emission & Traction control lights are permanently lit. The auto will not change down & the performance is very poor. The car will not even drive up our driveway without having to manually select 1st gear. I suspect the engine is in “limp” mode. Once the problem comes on it stays around for weeks. We took it in to the local Holden (GM) dealer who diagnosis was practically useless so I decided to investigate the problem myself.
    I did the pedal test for error codes, but discovered with the automatic transmission the selector has to be in the “D” position to work. I couldn’t make sense of the flashing lights so bought the Digimoto DigiScan 3200 USB reader & software. I managed to download the error codes & got P0100 ([FONT='Arial','sans-serif']P0100 Mass or Volume Air flow Circuit Malfunction)[/FONT] & P0700 ([FONT='Arial','sans-serif']P0700 Transmission Control System Malfunction)[/FONT]. I cleared the error codes & the car is behaving normally again, but the fault will come back & is usually at the most inconvenient times.
    I suspect the AFM; but has anyone got any ideas or information that will lead me to discover the cause of the intermittent fault.
    Regards Robjameller

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robjameller View Post
    I suspect the AFM; but has anyone got any ideas or information that will lead me to discover the cause of the intermittent fault.
    Regards Robjameller
    Would definatly guess this!! I had exactly the same problem. Get a genuine vauxhall one though( even if its second hand).

When your auto box is selecting gears it looks at other things such as throttle position and engine load. As your engine is performing poorly it will struggle with this.
    Astra H SRi 1.9 CDTI
    WG Motorworks stage 1.5 Remap, VXR suspension, Whiteline RARB, Courtenay brake hoses, VXR brakes,
    OP COM East Anglia Region

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Emission & Traction control lights

Hi Paul

Thank you for your reply & sorry for the delay in getting back to you due to the time difference. It's good you confirmed the same problem as I had my doubts.

I'll buy the genuine Holden (Vauxhall) AFM & change it when the fault returns. It's due to come back soon.

TaKe care & best regards
    Robjameller