Thread: mk3 astravan merit 17D?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

mk3 astravan merit 17D?

hi newbie here . I have just got a 1996 astravan merit 1.7D it has a black tappet cover 101000 on the clock no history . Now its my first diesel how are these motors ? Also are there any common problems with these cars also will it have a cat converter? Any help or advice would be appreciated

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Andrew,

Just wondering which engine you have. Does the black tappet cover have "DIESEL" or "TURBO" written on it. If it says "DIESEL" and has the injector pump and injectors up front, it would be the GM engine. The one that says "TURBO" is the Isuzu engine, which some people say is better. I'm sold on diesels now, but don't expect either to be as powerful or responsive as petrol engines.

On the Isuzu you should be able to find the engine number embossed into the cylinder block on the flange of the injection pump. On the GM its embossed into the engine block down near the dipstick where it joins with the transmission.

From what I've read here and on other forums, there isn't really anything you can do in the way of tuning the GM engine, but there are things you can do to tune the Isuzu.

I did have the injectors serviced on my GM engine - that's something you can't really do properly yourself and the original nozzles were rather burned out. Also had the cambelt done when I first got the car. Other than that I've just been keeping up with changing all the fluids, rebuilt the alternator, installed new belts and a number of new gaskets and oil seals.

There should be a catalytic converter unless somebody has removed it.

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi again Andrew,

Hey I was thinking more about your new Astravan with no history. If there is no indication that the cambelt has been changed, like no mechanic's label anywhere saying when it was done, then at "101000 on the clock" that would be something that should be done as soon as possible before it breaks and damages your engine.

If you have a mechanic do it for you it would be good to have them replace all the usual stuff (tensioner, roller, belt) and also the waterpump and possible even camshaft and crankshaft oil seals. May as well get everything done while the cambelt is off.

And like any car air and fuel filters need attention at some point. Check the air filter - you might find that it is really dirty and you need a new one. The diesel fuel filters have a bleed valve up top and a drain at the bottom to drain off water that can collect there if there is any in the fuel. Maybe its just time to install a new diesel fuel filter...

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks
    it just says diesel no turbo mentioned the tappet cover is black,there is a turbo at the back of the engine though.
    I got a quote for a cam belt £150.00 all in, its the same place that will do the mot as it has been standing for about 14 months so no mot or tax on it .I only paid £120.00 for the van from what i can see it just needs a good clean an polish , although i noticed the alt light on faintly when i put it in the garage tonight , i'm hoping its it's ok and just that its been standing for so long . thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi Andrew,

If it says "diesel" and has the turbo at the back of the engine then I guess its an X17DTL engine like mine (mine's also a 1996). I wouldn't worry about the flickering alternator light - should be fixable one way or another. I rebuilt mine, but maybe easier for you to buy a new one if it needs it and if you can afford it.

Sounds like you got a bargain on the van (compared with prices down here) and from what I've read on the vauxhall forums that's probably not bad for the cambelt job - especially if that includes all the usual cambelt parts, and also the waterpump.

Hopefully there won't be any nasty surprises...

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi i have noticed that my astra does not have a [E M L] spanner light thingy when i turn on the ignition is this right???

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrew101 View Post
    hi i have noticed that my astra does not have a [E M L] spanner light thingy when i turn on the ignition is this right???
    there is no EML light on my Astra either - I just went out and double checked...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks paul,looks like they dont have them and all the problems that i read about regarding code's from the E. M. L ...Thank God

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the advantages of a MK3...no computer bullsh#t... just a little airbag ECU, possible a keycode with ECU (but removable -thank god- on the mk3 diesels)...the rest just old reliable simple electrics. even seat belt tensioners are all mechanical... that's why i really do prefer a mk3 above a mk4!

120pound is really a bargain!!! paid 250euro for my "rat astra" ..was all painted up..had to put other lights, grille, new high roof, brake cylinders and some other small stuff on it..also welding the rear fenders .also had to had to have the MOT done by the goverments station because they had discontinued the registration (dutch bureaucracy)...also some maintenance..so it now has cost me lot's more then your 120+150+MOT probably (hope MOT was not to much work)
    ....but i love to drive it... will paint it another colour ..probably army green or so.

The other mk3 will become very nice!

hope you've got lot's of driving pleasure with your van now...as far as i know have the isuzu engines not been mounted in the VAN's by the way.

greetz!