Thread: Astra S reg 1.7TD LS

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra S reg 1.7TD LS

I have seen an Astra S reg 1.7 LS think its a MKIV in a local garage with 120,000 on the clock. It looks in good condition out side and inside (£1100) but would like some advice.

As this is the 1.7TD could anyone confirm what I would get MPG?

I am 6FT2" tall can anyone else on here around the same height tell me what they think of the car from a comfort side of things(head room etc) (haven't been in it yet).

Will the 1.7 have any problems when fully loaded ( 2 adults and 3 kids) is it going to strugle or will it have no problems here?

Is there anything I should be checking for that is common to fail that I should look out for on this model Astra?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im guessing its an estate?! Well the MK4's vans have the same 1.7TD engine and they can take big loads (obviously) so 5 people won't be a problem! Not sure on MPG sorry but cant be made as its a DERV.

With that high a mileage (the old girl should be able to go for a while yet if its got FSH or close to that), check cambelt. Don't think theres any real problems that they suffer from TBH.
    HTH

Edit: Theres a thread with estate/van owners pictures on here somewhere, they may be able to help you out more then me!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im 6ft 2" and big build...I have a mk4 2.2 sri, No problems with room for me, My neighbour has the same car in a 4 door and he gets his 3 kids in no problem, he is just under 6ft and so is his wife thinking of it, they love their car.
    Dunno about the mpg but it will be pretty good i think at a 1.7...
    I had a 1.7td vectra and that was a fantastic car, very ecomonical but not sure of exact figures, shifted too....lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    im a short arse sorry but have no probs lugging 5 adults around with a boot full of camping stuff, easily get 45 mpg

mines a cdti tho

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That seems expensive to me & the 1.7 td low blow engines aren't the best, I would look out for the later 1.7 dti engine(W reg onwards) being 16 v they go a little bit better as well.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have an R reg 1.7TD LS estate,and am 6'2" also!
    1.Fit/comfort,its great,I easily fit in with headroom to spare!
    2.MPG=changes obviously but you will get around 50mpg on motorways
    3.Load,Ive taken myself and 2 other adults,complete with fishing gear for 3,while towing a 16' boat up the old military back roads,and rest and be thankful with no problems,also no rust even though I use the astra to launch the boat into sea lochs alot!
    I also frequently shove a kayak or two on the roof,again no probs with weight,or space.

I paid £1800 for mine 2years ago with 81k on the clock,I'd try get it knocked down a little.
    The good/bad thing about this astra is that it uses Bosch parts,which while much better quality than Lucas,are also more expensive,and if you find one Bosch part,its all Bosch!!

Check all the usual for wear and tear,engine management lights etc..,the EGR valve on these gets clogged every year or so,takes all of 5-10mns to take it out and clean it though!
    Also take a whiff from behind when the engines running,if you can smell any hint of veg oil,don't touch it! While Bosch fuel pumps are more rugged than the Lucas pumps,veg oil f00ks them up(alot of peeps used veg oil a couple of years ago when it was 1/2 the price of fuel!)

I like it,it does what its meant to do,comfy,reliable,feels good,looks good,Im keeping mine till it dies(hopefully a good few years yet!)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsblue View Post
    That seems expensive to me & the 1.7 td low blow engines aren't the best, I would look out for the later 1.7 dti engine(W reg onwards) being 16 v they go a little bit better as well.
    How can you tell if its a new 16v engine?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 8v ones have DIESEL across the rocker cover is silver letters.

My old car was a 1.7TD Envoy and I had more headroom in it that I do in the VXR (I'm 6'3"). It's still going strong today, just had a new MAF and drives like a dream. fuel wise, you'll easily get 450+miles from a tank. As scootb73 said, the EGR valve needs regular cleaning, but it's a 10 min job.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.7 dti engine